Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

GOTHA Go 242 – The recovering of a Landing Gear Ski from the Aegean sea

Article about: Guided by various informations during late 90’s , I visited a beach side in the island of Evia along the Greek main land, searching for the remnants of an aircraft in the sea, since the ww2

?

Default Re: GOTHA Go 242 – The recovering of a Landing Gear Ski from the Aegean sea

kiwiwreckdiver
    "I've dived the Ar196 out near Naxos after spending 3 summers on Ios as a bar manager and Dive Instructor
    Sadly didn't have a camera.
    the fuse of the 196 is still pretty complete although very picked over, she was shot down by Beufighter while on convoy protection duty........"

Hi there kiwi friend,
    It is a nice surprise to know that a few years ago we were "fishing" in the same waters (Aegean).
    So i am sure that you know a lot for the area !
    I believe that i have some info for the same Arado , so i recalled from my archive the following photos.
    (i apologize for the poor quality but these were not digital ones). The plane wreck, were dragged from the open sea to the shallow waters of a bay in the island, by the nets of a large fishing boat (see the ropes and nets on the fuselage) . Some local islander removed some time later the propeler as a trophy, and a friend of mine brought me also for preservation the Long Range Radio Receiver of the same plane.. Amazing to find out after carefull cleaning that it's original painting was still available locally...
    John
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arado 196 fuselage relic.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	475272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Ar 196 propeler in the yard of house in the island.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	475273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The aircraft's Long Range Radio Receiver.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	475274

Default Re: GOTHA Go 242 – The recovering of a Landing Gear Ski from the Aegean sea

love diving on history,sadlyunable to now.

Hey John
    Yeah the Agean is one hell of a beautiful spot, many fond memories from the Cyclades
    The radio box looks awesome, still so much paint on her, wow.
    I would love to have nice big prop like that in my collection, but i'm pretty sure the GF would kill me haha
    The Gotha is an interesting bird and very rare one at that, pretty sure no museum has one, or that may even be the last one.
    Which island was it off ??
    And what did you do with the relic you found ??
    But we have talked about HAFM before and they seem very ungrateful and lazy so I would almost cancel them out.
    A local greek fellow from Leros I was talking with once said he recovered what was left of a Bf109 and gave it to them and it just vanished, ended up in the scrap heap probably.
    Just ordered my self a brand new under water metal detector so cant wait to put her to good use this summer.
    What other treasures of the deep do you know of ??
    Kind regards
    Hamish

?

kiwiwreckdiver;
    Hey John

...."The radio box looks awesome, still so much paint on her, wow.
    The Gotha is an interesting bird and very rare one at that, pretty sure no museum has one, or that may even be the last one.
    Which island was it off ??
    And what did you do with the relic you found ??
    But we have talked about HAFM before and they seem very ungrateful and lazy so I would almost cancel them out......."

Hi Hamish,
    I believee the Arado's radio box kept a lot of the original painting, due to this plane was dragged hooked on the nets from deep waters , where the paint work on relics is more protected from deterioration . Any way i worked on this item very carefuly and for several days, due to it cubic shape was solid as a...brick, of the salts and dirt accumulations ! As you can see also the magnesium made selector handles were melted many year ago, due to the chemical reaction of this material with the sea water...
    The ditching point of this glider was in a coast of the island of Evia (Greek mainland)
    Perhaps it was forced to ditch there due to tow rope snapping or some troule of the tow aircraft...
    What i did with this relic ? Just nothing ,further to issuing the photos. During my second dive there when i was able to observe from 15m the dark shape of the fuselage almost 10 meters deeper, i ..salute respectfully the soldiers who possible are still inside and i jetissoned my self to the surface for a deep breath..! I was far behind my capabilities to reach it.
    Yes i agree, the HAFM usually prefers more easy and well known tasks to take over...
    Regards,
    John

It would be intersting to see if we could track down soem history ont he Gotha, I would love to know how she got there, who was in it, who survived the ditching and and what she was carrying, so many questions just coem rushing to my mind when I look at a new crash site.
    That's we do what we do I spose, very interesting
    Very cool new site on the tail fins and bombs too.
    It was the same in Leros, little old ladies with nice flowers hanging out their naval artiliry shell's up along the fence line or in the garden......GULP

?

"kiwiwreckdiver"
    "It was the same in Leros, little old ladies with nice flowers hanging out their naval artiliry shell's up along the fence line or in the garden......GULP"

Ah Leros !! It is also a very good place for Military Archaeology !!!
    As for coast artilery shells and bombs there , do you mean something like that ?
    John
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leros 1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	479544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leros 2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	479545

John your threads are awesome.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Haha bang on John
    Seen both of these spots, was a great island

?

Great find.

Must have been quite a start to see the dark fuselage under water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12