Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip

Article about: Reminds me of the not so well known Iron Maiden "B" side .... "665 the Neighbour of the Beast"

Default Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip

Hi all again no pics as I have yet again lost my sd card for my camera long story short my workmate was at a demolished abandoned distillary that has been forgotten about, he noticed a thing in the skip and pulled it out and lucky him he found an old air raid siren and I bought it off him as I have always wanted one that size. Its heavy to carry and quite big. I only have a test video I uploaded on youtube:

Air raid siren - YouTube

you can see it a bit, anyone can tell if its WW2? or what year roughly? I don't know if it is even military. it doesnt have any dataplate on it apart from the words "TANGENT" in big lettering on the back. Works absaloutly perfect too. Very happy I own this and the fact it could of been turned into scrap or just trashed

Default Re: Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip

Hi Bratters,

The 'Tangent' siren was manufactured by Gent's of Leicester. Before and after the war they were clockmakers, and only produced these sirens in the re-armament period of the mid to late 30's that came about partly due to German expansionism in military matters at that time. It probably remained at the distillery as part of the Civil Defence Authority after the war, as many sirens were to be used to give the '3 minute warning' during the Cold War period. They were always checked once a year between the month of August and September, I remember the one in our village based on the roof of the local Legionaire's club.

Glad you don't live next door to me...But then, you'll never be late for your tea again.....

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 03-17-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

LOLOLOLOL !!! Awesome find Brataccas

Want to come down and meet me at Bishops Wood ? It won't take long to find Big Ned's house.............

Quote by Steve T View Post
    LOLOLOLOL !!! Awesome find Brataccas

Want to come down and meet me at Bishops Wood ? It won't take long to find Ned's Big house.............
    Smithers!........Release the hounds....!!!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I want one,, there someone living near me who plays a trumpet,,and I want to get my own back

Meanwhile deep in the Staffordshire countryside Smithers & Ned assemble their own weapon of mass eardrum destruction ....mwahahahaha!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

got some poor quality pics of it on my poor phone best I can do sorry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip   Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip  

Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip   Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip  

Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip   Heavy Air raid siren recovered from a skip  

?

Pro tip: Never turn the handle the wrong way. It kills the gears.

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Pro tip: Never turn the handle the wrong way. It kills the gears.
    And it plays a message from the Devil......Just like on that Beatles record!!

?

Leave it to Ned to discover satanic messages hidden in air raid sirens. I think the one we have at the Aviation Museum is a Tangent. If my bike wasn't running on fumes I'd pop by tomorrow to have a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast