MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying Verdun relics

Article about: Hi specialed Firstly, try and take clear photographs in future. It will greatly help in IDing finds. Secondly, be very VERY careful in this and many other areas as the act of recovering reli

Default Help identifying Verdun relics

hi, could anyone shed light on what exactly these projectiles found in the verdun forest might be? about 15cm long, 2cm diameter. seem to be solid, with a small driving band and some sort of thread at the base. would seem too small for a shell head, and too big for a MG type bullet head? maybe a type of rifle grenade? found next to some ammo boxes, all filled with dirt/stones and stacked like sandbags. also a big boiler/chimney type contraption close by... any ideas? thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying Verdun relics   Help identifying Verdun relics  

Help identifying Verdun relics   Help identifying Verdun relics  

Help identifying Verdun relics  

?

Default Re: Help identifying Verdun relics

IF it is rifle grenades, they are not solid. Hope you know that.

Diggin' and playing with explosives in the Verdun area will cause you to receive a 75oo Euros fine in the best case....In the worst...
    Last week,3 diggers were catched in the Verdun forests by the men in blue without humor,our dear Gendarmes!

thanks Datrus - do you happen to know which type? to clarify, all these were on the surface, found while along the path walking. i don't dig for anything...

Quote by specialed View Post
    to clarify, all these were on the surface, found while along the path walking. i don't dig for anything...
    What Sebfrench means is that it is forbidden to take any finds, dug or surface finds.
    You could get in a heap of trouble, just having a bullet or a piece of scrapnel in your pocket.
    To ID those buggers we would need a much clearer picture.
    But the only 20mm I can think of for WW I, is the 20x70RB, the granddad of 20mm's.
    They come in AP(solid) and HE (with a very prominent plunger-type nose fuze).
    The only thing I can recommend is to leave them be, even if they are thempting to take them home.

Cheers,
    Steven

agreed steven, i'm not picking anything up, or talking anything home - i know that can spell trouble. just curious to know what these were as i've not come across anything similar. someone else suggested they the steel boxes look more like something WW2? i'm sure someone on here could say if that's more likely. i had thought WW1 boxes were generally wooden...

i had thought WW1 boxes were generally wooden

The crates look like 25Pdr ammo crates, but if you want to ID them, get some clear pictures, check for any markings and post them in the ordonnance forum section, the guys there'll help you out.

Steven

thanks steven, unfortunately these are the only photos, but i'll post them there anyway and see if i get any definite answer...

Try to google immage the 20x70RB round, there's a verry good picture of the compleet round and it does resemble a few of the ones in the picture.
    Good luck with the ID.

Steven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast