MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Hurricane wreck with pilot recovery. Northern Russia

Article about: any pics of the grave of the soviet pilot that was salvaged ??

Default Re: Hurricane wreck with pilot recovery. Northern Russia

Hello Everyone!
    It's my first post, I have to say I am thrilled with this site!

I would venture to say, that it's something of a shame that the body could not have an autopsy, done respectfully of course. What a time capsule for historians, to have had the chance to medically examine a servicemember from that era, what he had eaten, blood toxicology, any diseases or parasites from the living conditions of the time, etc.
    This is common practice in the archeological field with mummies, exhumed tombs, etc. and would have been good information to have preserved for posterity I think.
    I am looking forward to spending a lot of time on this site! -Robert

I am sure that the recovery of the body was done with all respect. I see this recovery as being different from going into a sunken ship where men are known to be buried. For aviation archaeologists, there is no possible way of knowing if the aircraft you are recovering is occupied or not. I just don't see any reason to be offended. Thank you for the poster for sharing this story and for giving this brave pilot a final resting place he deserves. Quite amazing.

mustang6000
    ?

As a newbie, may I add my admiration to those who are undertaking this recovery work and I can only guess at their satisfaction of being able to give this young man a final resting place and recognition.

Quote by mustang6000 View Post
    As a newbie, may I add my admiration to those who are undertaking this recovery work and I can only guess at their satisfaction of being able to give this young man a final resting place and recognition.
    Amen Mustang, well said! Welcome to the forum.

Most importantly, they could find their remains to give them burial as he deserves, a tribute he deserved by the fact of having lost their lives for their country

A59778
    ?

Another newcomer to this site, I echo the sentiments expressed by other posters on this topic. There are many thousands of young men who simply vanished in all the wars of history, leaving behind grieving family and friends who wondered until their own dying days what happened to them. Only a small fraction of that huge number will ever be found, unfortunately, but those who are found by pure chance, as this unfortunate young man was, should not be left where they fell. Even in death, they are our fellow human beings and should be accorded the dignity of having their fate known and the proper recognition of a decent burial. We would wish it for ourselves and our loved ones if it were to happen to us.

Sergeant Lazarev's spirit can now rest in peace. I hope also that his family can too. To those who found him...I believe you have done the right thing.

pmccombs
    ?

Wow...Did not realize this sort of thing is still turning up. What a time capsule.

Dogfight
    ?

[QUOTE=Enemy Ace;108449]Hello Everyone!

I would venture to say, that it's something of a shame that the body could not have an autopsy, done respectfully of course. What a time capsule for historians, to have had the chance to medically examine a servicemember from that era, what he had eaten, blood toxicology, any diseases or parasites from the living conditions of the time, etc.
    This is common practice in the archeological field with mummies, exhumed tombs, etc. and would have been good information to have preserved for posterity I think.

As this is my first post I do not wish to fall out with anybody but, sorry, I see no point in subjecting this poor chap to this indignity. Look at him; really look at him, possibly his hands thrown up in the final act of his life trying to protect himself from impacting the instrument panel. He has been buried decades in a bog, bury him with honours this time and thank your lucky stars men like him were there when it counted… but please don’t subject him to this behaviour, he has endured enough.

Dogfight
    ?

As this is my first post I do not wish to fall out with anybody but, sorry, I see no point in subjecting this poor chap to this indignity. Look at him; really look at him, possibly his hands thrown up in the final act of his life trying to protect himself from impacting the instrument panel. He has been buried decades in a bog, bury him with honours this time and thank your lucky stars men like him were there when it counted… but please don’t subject him to this behaviour, he has endured enough. -Dogfight

Dogfight
    ?

Quote by Enemy Ace View Post
    Hello Everyone!

As this is my first post I do not wish to fall out with anybody but, sorry, I see no point in subjecting this poor chap to this indignity. Look at him; really look at him, possibly his hands thrown up in the final act of his life trying to protect himself from impacting the instrument panel. He has been buried decades in a bog, bury him with honours this time and thank your lucky stars men like him were there when it counted… but please don’t subject him to this behaviour, he has endured enough. - Dogfight

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast