Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"

Article about: One of the last remaining Wirlwind "tanks". this one is being restored, not to running, but to look much better for display, should take about 3 years. Dean O Canada I will add mor

?

Default I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"

One of the last remaining Wirlwind "tanks". this one is being restored, not to running, but to look much better for display, should take about 3 years.

Dean O
    Canada

I will add more photos when I can use the regular uploader
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"   I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"  

I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"   I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"  

I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"   I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"  

I got inside a WW2 German Wirlwind Anti A/C "Tank"  

?

Where on earth did they find this treasure at? It looks like it has been outside jugding by the grass and dirt inside

a load of WD40 sprayed around would help preserve it.

?

She still has much of the original "Zimmerite"? on the lower hull, many coats of the wrong colour paint on it. It has been sitting outside since the late 40s, and again, I understand there is only one or 2 others.

When I can use the regular uploader instead of the basic ( I do not know why I can use it sometimes and other times not) I will post all the photos I took, and as the rebuild go forth I will post more photos, I am looking forward to them removing the gun mount and turret.

DEan O
    Canada

Interesting beast. A pity that it will never move again, but who knows with the future? In the meantime, from the amount of dirt and vegetation, I'm thinking 3 years is being ambitious! Good luck on it and keep us up to date!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Always loved these little AA guns. The name is actually the Wirbelwind in German. Built a model as a kid once.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I too love this nice FlakPanzer, and again, I too built one when I was younger. I think the other FlakPanzer is the Möbelwagen.

I wish them luck in the restoration and hopefully they will "find" the parts to make it a eventual "Runner".

It needs to be done with that in mind, this would look superb it if could move again.

Thanks for the pictures Dean 0

There were several different Flak Panzers built on the Mk IV chassis-'Furniture Van' with the quad 20mm mounted on a platform, Whirlwind with the same weapon mounted in an open top rotating turret, Eastwind with the gun changed to a single 37mm gun in the turret and Ball Lightning with twin 30mm guns in an enclosed turret right at the end of the war.

?

this one is in Canadian Force Base Borden Ontario