Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting find in an open barn - WW2 Japanese 47mm type-1 anti tank gun

Article about: Went to pick my son up from Scout camp and found this in an open barn!? I didn't recognise it, however, a bit of internet research and I think it is a WW2 Japanese 47mm Type 1 anti tank gun

Default Interesting find in an open barn - WW2 Japanese 47mm type-1 anti tank gun

Went to pick my son up from Scout camp and found this in an open barn!? I didn't recognise it, however, a bit of internet research and I think it is a WW2 Japanese 47mm Type 1 anti tank gun - not your average find in an English barn. There were a couple of other pieces that looked like they may belong to a British 25 pounder.

(pictures were taken on my iphone, hence the size)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting find in an open barn - WW2 Japanese 47mm type-1 anti tank gun   Interesting find in an open barn - WW2 Japanese 47mm type-1 anti tank gun  

Interesting find in an open barn - WW2 Japanese 47mm type-1 anti tank gun  

Nice pigeon scarer.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

You should offer to give it a new home...

This has to be seriously rare......

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yup, Japanese Type 1 47 mm Anti-Tank Gun !

一式機動四十七粍速射砲 - Isshiki Kidō Yonjyūnana-miri Sokusha-hō

Type 1 47 mm Anti-Tank Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too bad the metal plate is gone.

What a great find, is it free?

Taka

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Yup, Japanese Type 1 47 mm Anti-Tank Gun !

一式機動四十七粍速射砲 - Isshiki Kidō Yonjyūnana-miri Sokusha-hō

Type 1 47 mm Anti-Tank Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too bad the metal plate is gone.

What a great find, is it free?

Taka
    When I first saw it I didn't know what it was. The 'oriental' script was quite rusty so I couldn't work out if it was Chinese or Japanese and I wrongly assumed at the time that it was some sort of Cold War communist gun (not expecting a WW2 Japanese gun to be in a barn!), because of this I didn't enquire any further about it. It has obviously been moved this year as there were round bales of hay behind it, however, due to its condition I would say that it has been stored in a barn for a few years. There was nothing else on the farm that I could see that looked military (although I didn't go looking), this gun along with the other pieces (which looked British - looked a bit like a gun carriage and some wheels, there was also something that looked a bit like a motorbike trailer with no wheels) were stored in an open fronted 30' x 20' barn in the corner of a field. Unfortunately it is a fair distance from my house, however, I'll get my wife to ask at Scouts the next time she takes the boy - something tells me I wouldn't be able to afford it even it was for sale!

Wikipedia states that 2300 were made, I can't imagine many have survived and even less to have made it to the UK!

That is not something you would expect in a barn.

?

Quote by Kevin Grootaers View Post
    That is not something you would expect in a barn.
    Maybe the farmer was thinking of doing a bank job!!!..

Mr Box I would keep this under your hat the location as some git will have it away...Mums the word & an excellent find let us know how you get on?. Cheers Terry.

I would love to know the history of that !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast