Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

Article about: Looks like Aberdeen Proving Grounds Museum, USA.

Default Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

Looks like Aberdeen Proving Grounds Museum, USA.

sounds like it scotland as we got a city called Aberdeen lol but its usa as ade says

I think Adrian is correct. Maryland I'd say. (U.S.A.)

Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrelInteresting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrelAnother found Barrel Ring from a Tiger... this weekend our group spent time in the Lancaster PA area hitting the antique shops and outdoor antique flea markets... a 3rd "88" Barrel Ring was found... this one is not quite in the best of shape as the chrome plating is coming off, however it is what it is... and one thing that is interesting is that it was purchased at an estate - no name on the "original" owner unfortunately who may have "acquired it" was available. This area is not far from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland which I believe was used in WWII, and now 3 of these things have turned up - 2 definitely being found in the Adamstown PA Area... posted are some photos for those interested.... a friend of mine purchased it and it is exactly the same as mine which I posted photos of sometime back to match up with the original poster's barrel ring who started this thread.

I visited APC a few years ago and can confirm that they chopped up all sorts of captured material they have a rack outside with a large selection of German tank barrels including breech blocks that were al sliced open along the length to show the bore and rifling of the barrel, sadly after the war they displayed a lot of stuff in a bad way and cut the sides off of a lot of tanks etc so they could be displayed to the public, the king tiger at fort Knox museum is originally from APC which is why its left side is opened up too, if I ever get the chance I will try to submit the photos from my road trip when I and a frie:-) and visited both places, it won't include the elefant as that was under restoration at the time

- - Updated - -

I visited APVa few years ago and can confirm that they chopped up all sorts of captured material they have a rack outside with a large selection of German tank barrels including breech blocks that were al sliced open along the length to show the bore and rifling of the barrel, sadly after the war they displayed a lot of stuff in a bad way and cut the sides off of a lot of tanks etc so they could be displayed to the public, the king tiger at fort Knox museum is originally from APV which is why its left side is opened up too, if I ever get the chance I will try to submit the photos from my road trip when I and a frie:-) and visited both places, it won't include the elefant as that was under restoration at the time

Jagdtiger has 128mm main gun.

My apologies iv already posted some pics on here both of the barrels and of Aberdeen proving ground, sorry braindead n tired totally forgot

Cool.

It seems as though these little babies are VERY rare. Too bad that the third one found is in such poor condition... but rare nonetheless.

I agree these were probably made at Aberdeen... it makes sense with where we are finding them appear at the Flea Markets and antique shops in Adamstown PA. Both the Aberdeen Museum and Patton Museum in Kentucky have been moved unfortunately if you haven't heard. Completely different today than a few years back. Hopefully they will take the armor that was at APG and restore them... they were rusting hulks last time I was up there... completely different story at the Patton Museum... those were wonderfully preserved tanks... the King Tiger you mentioned that was a "cutaway" was superbly done showing the interior. Later if I have time I will post the photos of that museum in the proper category... thanks for the response.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast