Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

Article about: Looks like Aberdeen Proving Grounds Museum, USA.

Thumbs up Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

Here is an interesting relic. A slice of a KonigsTiger barrel that was chromed and then expertly mounted on a chunk of armor... possibly from the KonigsTiger it came from. Probably made for the brass. Machining, welding, plating and engraving were expertly done.

Thought you might enjoy a peak. Wonder what that barrel has seen.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel  

Default Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

very nice, i bet he went through a few hacksaw blades cutting that off tiger

?

That is a very nice piece !

Exclamation Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

Just as a point of interest I did verify that the OD was correct for a KonigsTiger barrel as were the number of lands in the barrel. The KonigsTiger KwK43 barrel had 32 lands ( as does this slice) VS the normal 28 for FLAK 13/32/41 8.8cm.

I havre been trying to find out who might have made this as I have never seen another like it. Would be great to find which KonigsTiger it may have come from.... If only it could talk

danno81
    ?

Hi, I am new to this forum and learning so bear with me - this barrel ring displayed interests me as I found one exactly like it in an antique shop in Adamstown Pennsylvania and purchased it for around 75 dollars about 7 years ago. It is marked exactly the same, and has the same base - do you have any more details on the origin of these possibly? Thanks, Danno

Thumbs up Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel

I am sure that these two are brothers from the same KonigsTiger barrel. These were obviously made for top brass in theater. They are VERY rare as only a very few were made by the same machinist and as you can attest the quality of the workmanship is superb.

Post a picture of your as I would love to compare them. I dare-say you purchase would fetch a far higher price at auction.

danno81
    ?

Smile Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel - Posting Photo of 2nd Barrel Slice.

Here are a couple photos of the one I purchased here in Pennsylvania. Thanks for the information you provided!!! Where did you find yours?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel   Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel  

These are incredibly cool...never seen any before.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

danno81
    ?

Smile Re: Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel - photo of King Tiger Tank w/ cut barrel - Aberdeen Proving Ground

Maybe I can possibly help solve one more piece of this puzzle... since you determined it came from a King Tiger... I know of ONE such tank here in the United States located at Aberdeen Proving Ground - and it has a CUT BARREL - see the photo. This is where they brought many tanks to test them in WWII... and that would make this tank trackable and possibly id what we have - I think most Tigers we have came out of the Bulge. I will contact the Proving Ground Museum to see what they can provide. Take a look at the Photo... notice the end of the barrel... and this Proving Ground would have the equipement to "process" such an item. It is about an hour and a half drive from where I purchased my barrel slice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Relic: Slice of KongsTiger barrel  

Yup... made at the same time and by the same person... vo doubt! I am a bit dubious that Aberdeen would allow anyone to cut the end off a barreol for souveniers for the brass... but it may have been done in theater before the beasts were shipped stateside. I bet the Aberdeen guys could give you some provenance on these... I would take it with me so they can look at it.....
    No doubt 2 VERY rare pieces of WW2 history

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast