MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ju 87..Picking Up The Pieces.

Article about: I don`t think this one can be repaired.

?

Default Ju 87..Picking Up The Pieces.

I don`t think this one can be repaired.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju 87..Picking Up The Pieces.  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Reg
    ?

Default re: Ju 87..Picking Up The Pieces.

Nice pic, is there any info as to when and where this was? looks like British aircrew inspecting it and an old Bedford in the background driving on the left, early wartime pic?
    Cheers
    Reg

I would say it is an early war pic too. They wear 1936 pattern boots and the truck is indeed a Bedford MW with early "aero screens".

Cheers, Ade.

?

I think it's aJu87 brought down attacking Hawkinge, Tangmere or Thorney Island. Definately early Battle of Britain. The Luftwaffe gave up pretty early on stukas.

?

Quote by ian_ View Post
    I think it's aJu87 brought down attacking Hawkinge, Tangmere or Thorney Island. Definately early Battle of Britain. The Luftwaffe gave up pretty early on stukas.
    It is BoB and I believe you are right it is a Stuka,maybe Ade will change the title ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Re: Ju 87..Picking Up The Pieces.

Sorted

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

From the photo it looks like an airfield setting, hanger in the background? The chaps are at flight readiness either been on a sortie or available to go, you wouldn't want to wear all that kit unless you had too. There was an airfield attacked by i believe low flying dorniers (flying pencil) of which several were brought down or caused to crash by the rocket cable affairs which were installed at several airfields purely for this purpose. i say this as the sides of the fuselage appear 'squared' off like the dorniers and i thought the JU 87 stuka was a more cylindrical shape. Any help with dates and places for this attack?

Reg
    ?

There seems to either be snow or very heavy rain in the picture, that might rule out the BOB and put it either early or late 1940, may also explain why the crew are wearing gloves and flying jackets.....Brrrrr!

Reg

?

The photo appears in an Airfix book on Stukas from the seventies (very well researched) "RAF aircrew examining what proved to be the last Stuka to fall over Britain, a Ju87B that attacked a convoy in the channel, became lost in evasive action and was shot down over Kent." . The bracket sticking out is the distictive footstep mounted on the fuselage side below the Wireless op/gunner canopy. One of the pilots looking at the wreckage flew a Spitfire which later crashed near my mum's house in Wales. The pilot killed in that crash came from Birkenhead. A relative of his contacted the Museum at Fort Perch Rock, Birkenhead with some of his personal effects. The world is ful of strange coincidences.

?

Hi Ian,what was the name of the pilot from Birkenhead ? I have more pictures of this squadron all taken before 1942. Which one is him in the above picture ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast