Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ju88 shot down

Article about: Its a pity they didn't think of engraving the person's name onto the back of the medal, when awarding it...

RMR
    ?

Default Ju88 shot down

On the night of may 29th 1941 a JU88 7T+JH returning from a bombing raid in the liverpool area was intercepted by a Beaufighter night fighter and shot down .It crashed on Wellow down just west of Freshwater Isle of Wight.The next morning a female auxiliary ambulance driver came to the crash site to collect the bodies of the four crewmen who were all killed.Searching the bodies for useful information she found an EK2.This is now in my collection along with a few pieces of aircraft debris from the wreck.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju88 shot down   Ju88 shot down  

Default Re: Ju88 shot down

Wow, that is an amazing story. May they rest in peace.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Hi Roger, have you ever done any more research on the crew? It would be interesting to know their names etc.

Cheers, Ade.

those are some great collecting pieces.. Great story behind them..

cheers,

RMR
    ?

Thanks for the replies chaps here for Ade the crew names Oberfw.R.Manigel, Fw.F.Christiansen, Uffz.A.Wagemayer and Uffz. H.Kubler all I think are now resting in Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery.

Regards Roger

Hi Roger, do you have pics of their graves? If not, I will take some for you. My daughter lives in Cannock.

Cheers, Ade.

That EK should be returned to the family of the airman who wore it IMHO. Return the stuff if you know who it belonged to.

RMR
    ?

Quote by Vonforhud View Post
    That EK should be returned to the family of the airman who wore it IMHO. Return the stuff if you know who it belonged to.
    Sure, you tell me which one of the four it belonged and I will return it ,in all the years I have had this I have not been able to find out so now's your chance.

I did not realise you had tried.

My apologies.

The aircraft (a Ju-88A5) belonged to I/Kuestenfliegergruppe 606 and had the WkNr 8240. The site of the crash was investigated in 1985 with many small pieces found scattered on the ground. It was one of 3 aircraft from Ku.Fl.Gr 606 that was lost that night.
    (Source: The Blitz Then & Now V3 by Winston Ramsey)
    Here are the entries in the Volksbund Database for the crew...

Ju88 shot down Ju88 shot down
    Ju88 shot down Ju88 shot down

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast