Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lancaster Part to Identify

Article about: Hi, I am trying to find what equipment this plate came off, I know it is off a Lancaster Bomber and I am trying to identify the Plane and Crew, I don't have the item, just the photo. Also ca

?

Default Lancaster Part to Identify

Hi, I am trying to find what equipment this plate came off, I know it is off a Lancaster Bomber and I am trying to identify the Plane and Crew, I don't have the item, just the photo. Also can the plane be identified by the serial number if I find out what equipment it came off?Lancaster Part to Identify

?

Plate to the left is a modifications record plate (MOD Plate) - the serial if present is not the aircraft serial number and cannot be linked to an individual aircraft - these plates were to be found on many aircraft sub-assemblies. The plate to the right is the sub-assembly identification plate - sometimes the Type designation is the aircraft type, but not always - The drawing number for the assembly may allow the original part to be identified and if specific to a particular aircraft type it may give you the aircraft type - again the serial number will not be the aircraft's serial number.

In this case Type 683 is indeed Lancaster, but is a code for components that covers all Mks, so doesn't narrow it down at all I'm afraid. Any info on where it came from?

?

Hi Nick, Thanks for getting back to me, it's from an unidentified Lancaster found in Germany in 1979, the finder, myself and a few others, are trying to I.D. it and find out who the crew were and their fate. This was one avenue but we didn't hold out much hope. We have someone trying to raise awareness and interest with the War Graves Commission, (body parts were found), and the relevant authorities. The finder tried in 1980 but they weren't interested in excavating then, hopefully attitudes have changed since then. The finder also has an artificial horizon with a serial number on, I have attached, could this help? Is there any way of knowing what equip. the MOD plate was off? Thanks, Tony

?

Hi Tony - I will show it to a friend who is clued up on all things Avro - I have only actually found / dug one Lancaster in all the years I have been doing this hobby!

Sorry the instrument serial number is not going to be recorded anywhere either.

?

Thanks Nick, any help is appreciated.

Hi Tony - your plate is a sub-assembly plate from the tailpane/elevators. This is signified by the letter 'G' in the drawing number of the Lancaster.

Cheers

?

Hi Elliott,
    Thanks for that, do you think it is possible to identify the plane from the serial number?

Tony, most Lanc crashes in Germany are known. If you give me the location and estimated date, I can narrow down the list for you. Danny

P.S. E-mail me if you feel safer that way. It is danny.keay@gmail.com

?

Hi Danny, I was in touch with you about this plane in 2012, you were in Tennessee at the time and put me in touch with Volker Krappen who looked at the site and said it had been picked clean. I haven't been back since 1982 but I think the plane had done a belly landing and sunk further than a metal detector can go. The new pics. are from the lad that originally found the plane, (just got back in touch this year), and the parts had all been sent to the Hendon Museum in an attempt to ID the plane but nothing came back. He is still making enquires with the MOD and the war graves commission so I don't want to step on his toes. The plane is on the outskirts of JHQ Rheindahlen in some wood/swampland. Anything you found via research would be a great help, (If you need a more precise location let me know). I didn't know about the body parts or the date of 1944 on the base of some of the shells, (all mine said 1943), or these photo's until the other lad got in touch on a friends reunited website in January this year. Great to hear from you again, hope you are well, Cheers, Tony

Hey Tony, wow, now I remember. It has been a while. I am now back in Germany, though Bavaria. It would help to have contact with the other gentleman that had the info on remains and parts. Did Volker have anymore info? I just worked on a Fw190 site with him last week.

By the way, MOD does not excavate themselves, but will authorize a recovery if the site/remains are in danger.

Looking at the parts, I think she did not belly land, but rather exploded on impact.
    Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast