Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Late war ME109G crash relics

Article about: A couple of years back I bought a group of relics from a Messerschmitt BF109G from member ‘Asperious’ but one thing led to another and I never showed them to the forum. Meantime though, I di

Fascinating bits from an abrupt end to a young man's war. At that stage late in the war,with the intense need for serviceable pilots I can only wonder what his previous wounds were that he still was pressured into going up and flying in spite of them. Certainly, they could not have been healed yet. They may even have factored into his final mission's failure. From the looks of the oil valve, it is understandable why there was only a hand in the coffin. (I find myself perversely wondering what the ring looked like...a wedding ring?)

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I sent a pm to Scott asking him if he could add more to the story. I'll add all of my reference sources for the facts i found.
    Cheers all,
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

nice post Dan.

Some of my sources for the information stated earlier about the pilot.

Loss List for JG300 (1944 )
    Jagdgeschwader 300 "Wilden Sau" | Verlustliste 1944 | Verlustliste JG300 (1944)

Discussion board on the combat of 27 July 1944
    The II./JG 300 on 27 July, 1944 [Archive] - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Compiled archive of known Luftwaffe pilots
    Kracker Luftwaffe Archive

Cheers, Dan

Nice items and an interesting history.

Regards Mike

Great thread Dan

So Scott Marchand ( Asterperious ) got back to me.

Scott is the Director of collections and Aircraft Restoration at the PIMA Air & Space museum in Tuscon Arizona...... whew!!!
    check out their website - Pima Air & Space Museum : Tucson, Arizona

Anyway, this is what he could add....."As far as any other information I can't help much. The parts were given to me by one of the guys in Germany we contract for aircraft sub assembly restoration work. He acquires parts for the jobs he does from the network of European crash site excavators. These were recovered from a known crash site that was recovered during the war and this is the smaller debris that is typically left behind in clean up. the area was wet clay type soil from what he told me."

Well, that must explain the good condition of many of the remains of Karl-Heinz Schöffmann's ME-109

Cheers, Dan

Love the items you posted Dan!
    "WWII Militaria collecting has no cure and the only medicine is to collect more" - My Opa

Collection Website:
    Collection Video:
    Facebook Page:
    Google Page:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12