Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

A little something in the Sahara!

Article about: I think it's worth adding the photos of Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping to the thread in case they disappear from the links provided.

Default Re: A little something in the Sahara!

I was just about to post the videos of the plane - but have been beaten to it.

Well it looks real

Shame that the second video shows someone starting to take trophys offf the plane

?

The vid reminded me of the jawas in Star Wars. I hope there are more high res photos from the first batch, because I doubt there will be much to see now.

Between the very photogenic layout of the crash site, the lack of any back ground info on the photos or youtube video (look at the youtube account info on the video, not much of anything related), the lettering on the access panel being hand painted rather than stenciled and the quality of the video camera (Talk about steady cam) I am inclined to think that this is a film students senior project (Or something of the sorts, very movie prop looking to me)

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying this is not a real plane, just not a real "find".

brooks
    ?

the gunsite looks wrong? 100% sure the pictures are photo shopped

good though

I was one of the initial doubters that it was real - then the video proved it was not a model.....but, there is something still strange to me about the whole storyline ....dunno about being army, more like tribesmen! And civvy 4wds???
    Also cammo does not prove they are army - or all the kids at the mall have signed up!!

Doubting Thomas
    Danmark

Latest news says the aircraft is located in an area that is off limits to civvies as it is part of a military training area. Sounds odd, you wouldn't expect oil prospectors to be there, but perhaps it's something to do with the 'Spring Awakening'?

Hopefully, if true, this might ensure that the thing isn't torn apart by Bedoo tatters before it can be recovered.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

A lot of photos now available here Which look pretty convincing to me - a few sad reminders of what may have befallen the pilot though - the missing radio is in the sand by the aircraft, as are batteries and cable - perhaps he was trying to call for help? Also an unpacked parachute near the nose looks like it may have been used for shelter / warmth at night? Echoes of Bill Lancaster's fate perhaps? If he tried to walk out, he may never be found

Thanks for posting these Nick. I agree with the shades of Bill Lancaster comment, it's an extraordinary story that is little known. I read a book on him years ago, there was a final photo of him with his old mother giving him a paper bag containing chicken sandwiches next to his aircraft; very poignant. I'm suprised that no-one has made a film about his life and adventures as yet.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Has anyone tried to contact the guy who posted all of the pictures? He may be able to get a tail number or something else to ID this aircraft.

Burt

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast