Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

A little something in the Sahara!

Article about: I think it's worth adding the photos of Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping to the thread in case they disappear from the links provided.

Default Re: A little something in the Sahara!

Sorry. I was not going to disturb anybody's heart with my post.

There is an aircraft company in the U.S. that preserves and stores aircraft in the desert for future military or civilian use or parting out. These climes will preserve anything quite well, if multi-million dollar aircraft are kept this way by corporations for monetary gains. Granted, these companies will remove hydraulic fluids, oils, and fuel prior to preservation. I would assume the sun can have an adverse affect on paints and decals though. My 2 cents.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thumbs up More than just planes in the Sahara

I have a friend that was an oilman in the region and he says that the winds shift the sands and that from time to time whole armored columns re-appear only to vanish again. There are planes, tanks, 88s and men still out there on post. Ghost battalions. The local population is well aware of these things and shys away. There are supposedly millions of still active German S mines throughout the area... The climate and the sands preserve almost everything quite well.

Well, so much for the aircraft being in a 'secure military area' and under the 'protection of the authorities'. The canopy plexiglass and port cockpit window have already been shot out, the armoured windscreen has several bullet strikes as has the engine cowling and fuselage. The cockpit has also had various knobs, levers and data plates either stolen or broken off and left lying in and around the aircraft. An aileron has also been wrenched off and then disgarded, plus other acts of pointless vandalism and petty theft.

I personally don't hold out much hope for this unique piece of history and it's value to all, and that includes their freedom, for what it's worth. Such is the nature of the beast.

A couple of examples of before and after.

Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A little something in the Sahara!   A little something in the Sahara!  

A little something in the Sahara!   A little something in the Sahara!  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I've never found an old car yet on my "vintage tin" expeditions that DIDN'T look like a colander....... bedouins with guns ........what else did we expect.
    I still reckon the "army guys" in the video were the sheik's boys restocking their armory!

Quote by big ned View Post
    Well, so much for the aircraft being in a 'secure military area' and under the 'protection of the authorities'. The canopy plexiglass and port cockpit window have already been shot out, the armoured windscreen has several bullet strikes as has the engine cowling and fuselage. The cockpit has also had various knobs, levers and data plates either stolen or broken off and left lying in and around the aircraft. An aileron has also been wrenched off and then disgarded, plus other acts of pointless vandalism and petty theft.

I personally don't hold out much hope for this unique piece of history and it's value to all, and that includes their freedom, for what it's worth. Such is the nature of the beast.

A couple of examples of before and after.

Ned.
    It is so sad. A museum, or the RAF or someone should start negotiation with the authorities of Egypt for the recovering of the plane. Before it will be too late.
    When newpaper announced the discovery of the Lady Be Good to the public, the plane had been doomed. Relic hunters, and others almost totally destroyed her. They cut out pieces from her airframe with axes! It happend on one of the most dangerous, desolate, and lifeless territory of the Earth.

I can not understand these men and their behaviour.

Please, somebody do something urgently. Please.

Priceless historical artifacts, like this aircraft, will always be destroyed by shallow idiots who don't know - or don't care about the piece of history they are erasing...

?

Look whats turned up on the Sun today, adds abit more to the story of the plane and lets hope the comment about the Hendon wanting to recover it soon is true and it is recovered and preserved as it is

Crash-landed RAF warplane found in Sahara | The Sun |News

Thanks
    Tom

and the Daily Mail

Crashed plane of Second World War pilot Dennis Copping discovered in the Sahara desert | Mail Online

They believe the pilot is flt sgt Dennis Copping whose body has not been recovered.

They says: "Now a hunt will be launched for his remains, which could be anywhere within a 20-mile radius. "

Sgt. Guy E. Shelley - one of crewmembers of the Lady Be Good - walked 115 miles with a capful of water per day!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast