Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lonely Spitfire

Article about: Hi, i thought some of you aircraft guys would like to see this lonely old girl,. she is at the end of a runway near a cornish airfield, I have been to see it but didnt have my camara, so i h

Default Lonely Spitfire

Hi,
    i thought some of you aircraft guys would like to see this lonely old girl,. she is at the end of a runway near a cornish airfield, I have been to see it but didnt have my camara, so i hope to go again next week if poss and take some shot of it. It is in need of attention but looks great, It is in the garden of a cottage so i need permition to go in but will do my best. I will post any pics i take.
    dave.

Brindlereo
    ?

Default Re: Lonely Spitfire

nice little yard ornament, most people go with trolls.

Reg
    ?

My wife freaked at a gnome on a Harley, she would have a seizure if that replaced her fairy with a harp. Do you know if it is a replica Panzer 3 or film prop, if its original its a several hundred thousand pound washing line!

Reg

I have read on another forum ( ww2f ) that it is a fiberglass replica , the guy who made it had some other guy having a go at him about it . I have seen it up close & loved it . The guy was very approachable at the time I saw him

Reg
    ?

Credit to him, ild have one in my garden given half a chance

Reg

Hi reg,
    I went to see it not long ago and went in and looked around it
    I dont know who says it is made of GRP, but what i saw is a
    genuine spit,. It has been there for years, i first looked at it in the
    early seventies, the cockpit canapy has had a lot of wear through the weather it is slowly fractering, the tyres are perished but the body is good. And made of aluminium, but you can see for your selves i will post pics.
    dave.

?

Was this one of the replicas made by Air image in the 1990's, as they used to be based very close to me at a local caravan park.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Default Re: Lonely Spitfire 2,

Hi guys,
    Well i have been back to the spitfire, you are right Ash, and to answer you question Reg yes it is a replica. I made some enquiries
    the one i saw back in the seventies was sold, I take it it was to much to keep going !, and this has taken it,s place but it is realy nice to see. After looking very carefully you can see that it lacks
    the age and ware of the original, but i have taken some pics of it
    hope you enjoy them.
    dave.

Reg
    ?

Thanks for the pics Dave, I still think its one of the best garden ornaments Ive seen, LOL.:

Love the gnarly old prop in the foreground too.

Cheers
    Reg

?

I used to serve at the RAF unit near to this -great for directions -got to Spitfire corner Etc. Guy who owns it is called Barry Walland if the memory serves me right and he's an aviation artist-his gardens full of aircraft bits-alot of which have been recoverd from the sea around the coast of Cornwall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast