Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe panel identity???

Article about: Hi All, This is my first post on this forum. I have been a collector of aviation relics for many Years but have only just started using forums to discuss my interests. I Just wondered if any

Default Luftwaffe panel identity???

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been a collector of aviation relics for many Years but have only just started using forums to discuss my interests. I Just wondered if anybody had any ideas on the aircraft origin of these four panels I recently acquired from a collector in Germany. They came with no history but he seller believed they were from a night-fighter crash just outside of Berlin. They are large sections (approx. 1m square) so I was happy to take a gamble and add them to my collection.

I have matched up one of the flathead screw fixings to a panel I have from a 109 but the other riveting is new to me. All panels are of the same light olive green inside, with the outer panels seemingly very dark green. There are sections on the outer where the panel changes from dark green to bare aluminum from one panel to the next.

I can post closer pics of the riveting if it helps? The long strut is stamped "Berlin 3125.5" with a symbol that appears to be cross hammers. I have also found one inspection stamp K598, but that's about it.

It was my thought that they are wing or tail sections and have seen a similar riveting style on a JU88 wing section.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Darren
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe panel identity???   Luftwaffe panel identity???  

Luftwaffe panel identity???   Luftwaffe panel identity???  

the rib and the forging suggest to me it looks like a fragment of a control surface or trim tab, what is the scale here?

I've posted a few mor pictures below (apologies my camera skills aren't great). This piece measures approx 75cm in length by 6cm wide. The stamped piece is riveted to a forged T section which appears to have had sheet aluminium rivet to both sides.

The larger panel sections are each approx. 100cm square.

Hope this helps,

Darren
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe panel identity???   Luftwaffe panel identity???  

probably a section a flap would be my guess based on that size and materials/construction.

Hi all,

Just thought I would share some pics of a further six parts I have obtained from the same aircraft. It's my thoughts that they are mostly all wing parts. I have seen very similar riveting patterns on some plans for a JU88 wing and exterior surfaces appear to be a dark green/ black combination with the lower surfaces being a lighter green/blue. The yellow anodised aluminium seems to have been used quite a bit also an Junkers aircraft.

There is some small red block stencilling to to top surfaces which I believe may be the "no step" demarcations.

There is a strange part which appears to be a cylindrical tube which a small square tube running through it.

For scale, most of these parts are approx 1m long.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Darren

And some more pics....

He 111, He 177, Ju88 and Fw 190 were built at Heinkel werke Oranienburg, and Ju87 stukas were built at Tempelhof airport, that narrows things down a tiny bit!...