Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M1 garand found in germany. How to get it to the states?

Article about: Basically what the title says. Lets say one found a fully functional M1 garand in a barn in germany. It's never been registered in germany since it's been in that barn since WWII. How would

Allrighty then. Thanks guys. Right now it looks like we have a gun smith "Büchsenmacher" officially turn it into a decorational piece. If it wouldn't have so much sentimental value, I wouldn't even bother...

It will become fully welded, bolt, gas cylinder the lot, awful really.

If you can tell us roughly where it was found, I can tell you the likeliest unit that left it there, and when.

Photos would also be cool.

Back in the day, you used to just take it apart and mail the receiver separately with a label like "ashtray" on the package and the rest of the parts in several packages spread out over time and labeled "surplus parts". Nowadays, in our new enlightened times, you'd probably end up being labeled a terrorist if you tried such a thing...I used to have an uncle that worked as a guard in Leavenworth....he said it wasn't a nice place...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Back in the days i bought pieces of machineguns etc from all over the world and had them sent to me for assembling.

Now after the age of terror has begun, i highly doubt it is possible to send even a tiny piece anywhere without risking being sent to a "happy camp"

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    It will become fully welded, bolt, gas cylinder the lot, awful really.
    That is awful, but still better than complete destruction.

?

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    Just barely!!!

Over the years I have bought and brought or mailed home a wide variety of gun parts & accessories from Germany, france & England. As long as there was no receiver it was no problem (with US customs) and small things like M1 Carbine receivers were very easy to hide.
    In the case of Germany the bbl & bolt were supposed to be demilled, but they didn't care about the receiver.
    Haven't been over for 10+ yrs so don't know what the laws are now.
    Sarge

Perhaps it could be shipped to another country (Austria for example) and from there sent to a Canadian address? Would shipment within North America be less restrictive?

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    True mate! I wouldn't mind a deactivated WWII firearm. Of course here in NSW Australia I can't even own a deactivated gun without going through all the firearm license crap, gun safe, random police visits etc. Its horrible

Quote by christek View Post
    I can't even own a deactivated gun without going through all the firearm license crap, gun safe, random police visits etc. Its horrible
    I went through all that malarkey in order to import an SA dress dagger into Victoria and either the customs or quarantine inspector knocked it off! 4 bladed weapons on the import form, 4 bladed weapons on the customs form, 4 bladed weapons on the commissioner of Police approval and only 3 bladed weapons turned up in the box...and no-one saw anything!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast