Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Messerschmitt BF-109 Recovered Throttle Section

Article about: Hey everyone! Wanted to share an item I've had for a while but just took some good pictures of today. It's the recovered throttle section from an aircraft called 'Yellow 7.' It was crash lan

Default Messerschmitt BF-109 Recovered Throttle Section

Hey everyone! Wanted to share an item I've had for a while but just took some good pictures of today. It's the recovered throttle section from an aircraft called 'Yellow 7.' It was crash landed in 1943 (I believe) by Albert Brunner, a fighter ace after he was reportedly intercepted by a few Soviet fighters while patrolling. I obtained this section from the company that recovered the plane in the early 1990s. They had to attach a jet to the back of a pickup truck just to melt the ice around the plane (so I was told.) When I received the section it was a rusty mess, with flakes of rust falling off by the minute (it had been submerged in ice for almost 60 years.) The first thing I did was stabilize it, I did not want it to deteriorate any more than it already had. I did not by any means want to restore it. I applied a rust converter that was recommended to me by the WWII museum in New Orleans (they are extremely helpful.) It converts the rust into a paintable surface and stops further advancement. This was heavily needed as the main throttle knob was almost rusted through completely... large flakes were falling off even without anyone touching it.

I then welded a custom stand for it and walla... enjoy the pictures of the actual aircraft "Yellow 7" with its pilot 'Albert Brunner.'

Also- notice the original yellow paint still on the throttle control!

Great shot of the armored windshield glass.

A nice relic! Always a bonus to have an identifiable piece of the aircraft, rather than just random fragments of skin and framework. The force of the crash is always evident in these relics, with them being bent into all sorts of fantastic shapes.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

That's a pretty awesome job in stabilizing this piece. Well displayed too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well done. I would have never thought to display it
    is such a way.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

That's a great looking display! The pilot was a Knights Cross winner as well which makes it an even more interesting piece. It seems he was killed on May 7th 1943 when his parachute failed to open in Finland.