Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

metallic thing dugup at ww2 dump, ID needed..

Article about: thx all for your guesses by mpw I agree the metal item looks like a fire fender. As a general rule most bottles with either a metal crown cap or external screw cap are post WW1. I have dug p

Default metallic thing dugup at ww2 dump, ID needed..

no pics as I still got no camera so I have to film it with camcorder then youtube it to show

its length is about 1 meter, is it a front part of a vehicle grill? just my first thoughts/guess, its bugging me wanting to know what it is

metallic relic dugup at ww2 dump - YouTube

Default Re: metallic thing dugup at ww2 dump, ID needed..

Somthing to do with a fire hearth perhaps?

I am "into" vehicles and it does not look like a vehicle part to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Its a Victorian iron fender for a range

Nearest I can find online here: Victorian Traditional Brass and Iron Range Fender 5026

lool so thats what it thanks I found lots of vintage glass bottles near it too, some with the liquid still in it, cant empty cos the lids rusted it shut, reckon I should leave those or collect too? one has a black inky kinda stuff inside

Leave 'em...Anything with a metal screw cap isn't worth keeping.Now if it's got a Codd marble in it....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

mpw
    ?

I agree the metal item looks like a fire fender. As a general rule most bottles with either a metal crown cap or external screw cap are post WW1. I have dug plenty with contents myself and the contents can be pretty smelly and sometimes quite corrosive so be careful. Often old sauce bottles were reused and contain all sorts of things from creosote to engine oil before being finally discarded. Looks like you will turn up some interesting items there. Good luck!

Mark.

well ive dugup another metallic thing very close to where I found that iron fender,

unknown relic dugup at victorian dump - YouTube

I thought it was a paintcan at first but its not, anyone have the faintest idea? Im totally stumped

mpw
    ?

judging by the amount of fixing holes and the size I would say it was attached to something running at high pressure. Perhaps gas, water, fuel etc. Could be some kind of filter or pressure release valve.

Mark.

?

I'm thinking a grate or hearth, plus looking at your video some of the debris look like bits of clinker and coal from an open fire, the other strap handle shaped object is probably just that, or could be a boot scrapper.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast