Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

More on the Burmese Spitfires

Article about: At least 60 and up to 140 were buried. This is the find of the century. http://www.defencemanagement.com/new...y.asp?id=21177

Default More on the Burmese Spitfires

At least 60 and up to 140 were buried. This is the find of the century.

http://www.defencemanagement.com/new...y.asp?id=21177

Default Re: More on the Burmese Spitfires

Digging starts 10 days from today. It'll be interesting to see what they find.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cool, I want one! If they are well packed and greased they might be in pretty good condition. Lets hope so anyway.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

with so many threads started about this,iv opted to post this latest news here
    Burma Spitfire search finds water-filled crate that may contain plane - Telegraph

I did post this update at 12;46,not sure how it compares with all the other threads on the same topic.Mod is it an idea to merge all the posts under one thread title? only its getting confusing.many thanks

not good news on the spits, according to the BBC "Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma" - real shame if this is the case but maybe not entirely unexpected

Archaeologists hunting for World War II Spitfires in Burma believe there are no planes buried at the sites where they have been digging, the BBC understands.

The archaeologists have concluded that evidence does not support the original claim that as many as 124 Spitfires were buried at the end of the war, the BBC's Fergal Keane reports.

Wargaming.net, the firm financing the dig, has also said there are no planes

here's the link to the full story

BBC News - Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma

"Wargaming.net, the firm financing the dig, has also said there are no planes.

But project leader David Cundall says they are looking in the wrong place."

Considering the mysterious Mr.Cundall was the main instigator and "Project leader" of the frolics in Rangoon, you'd have thought that he would have some say in which was the right or wrong place to dig with the hope of at least finding something........

I am shocked by this news.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    "
    Considering the mysterious Mr.Cundall was the main instigator and "Project leader" of the frolics in Rangoon, you'd have thought that he would have some say in which was the right or wrong place to dig with the hope of at least finding something........
    yeees, exactly.....

looking more and more like a wild goose chase...a real shame as would have been a truely magnificant discovery, but as the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true then it probably isn't

A freind of mine knows one of the archaeologist doing the dig.He says the weather is wonderful

Quote by cornishboy View Post
    A freind of mine knows one of the archaeologist doing the dig.He says the weather is wonderful
    Well they've certainly dug a big enough sun trap......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More on the Burmese Spitfires  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast