Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My latest groundfinds

Article about: All the shells found look to me like 75mm ww1 french shrapnel shells. The 'fatter' cartridge is from a French Lebel, and the others appear to be 7.92mm German K98 cartidges. Nice lot there!

Default My latest groundfinds

Found these about 2 months ago in france near the german border in the woods.
    Cant really identify all objects...so please enlighten this noob on digging for relics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest groundfinds   My latest groundfinds  

Default Re: My latest groundfinds

Hey there

Well....you have four large calibre artillery shells judging by the drive bands on them. Those things on top of the shells though.....did you find them with the shells ?

Looks like you also have the remains of a couple of large calibre fuses as well.

What are the headstamps on the small cartridges ?

Steve T

cant really make m out anymore...to far gone
    Ill make some shots and post them..maybe someone with more experience with these items can recognize them

Squadra33

To get my stuff clean I use an electric drill with a wire brush attachment. Cleans stuff up nicely WITHOUT damaging the relic or making it 'too' clean.

An electric wire brush will take away all the mud etc but leave the relic in 'relic' condition.

Steve T

PS The thing on top of the third large shell looks to me like a spotlight bulb

?

Looks like 7.5 cm FH 18 shells
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Thanks Steve...ill have a go at it ..\

and yes i think it is a bottom piece of a bulb to, but the shell that it sits on was found with this "bulb" on top of it..even most of the damage marks seem to line up with each other ?!

Maybe some weird way to fabricate a "household" bomb...or just a fancy light fixture made by a bored soldier...or just a coincedence

Guess we'll never know

Part A in my attatched picture of your stuff is the top section of a french shrapnel round (poss 75mm) with the remains of the fuze (attatched image shows full fuze) and the parts marked B in the photo are pusher/ejection plates from shrapnel rounds(see attatched photo of one in place).Artillery projectiles also appear to be expended shrapnel rounds.other bits n pieces i dont know look to be bits of fuzes etc
    sorry cant tell you type of fuze and shells as these french "beehive" fuzes all look same to me there are many different types
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest groundfinds   My latest groundfinds  

My latest groundfinds   My latest groundfinds  

To Squadra- maybe i'm wrong, but for me that stuff looks more like from WW1.

@ Spotter..thanks for the info,

ostlandigger, could be...dont know. I just like old stuff thats been burried for a long time and that has a history

Got to agree with ostlanddigger its all typical ww1 battlefield relics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast