Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?

Article about: It will be intresting to find out what they are from, especially if the wreck these items are from is unidentified.

Default Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?

I just got these dug up items from a friend. Does anybody have an idea what this might be. I think they are parts of a Luftwaffe plane. Any ideas anybody?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?   Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?  

Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?   Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?  

Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?   Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?  

Default Re: Need help with identification? Luftwaffe?

These parts look like there from a WW2 German Mauser Cannon, do a search for Mauser Mk214 and you will see what I mean.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    These parts look like there from a WW2 German Mauser Cannon, do a search for Mauser Mk214 and you will see what I mean.
    Thanks. You might be right. Hope somebody can confirm this

Those pieces don't really look like parts of airframe to me, the look a bit too heavy and bulky and are more likely parts of some kind of weapon. The piece towards the left hand side of the 6th picture looks like a feed tray to me, and the other parts speak for themselves

Thanks

Danny

Weapon parts as M3 and Danny have pointed out. Definitely.

Cheers

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Weapon parts as M3 and Danny have pointed out. Definitely.

Cheers

Steve T
    So these used to be mounted on a Messerschmit! What a cool find. How is it possible that a bunch of crippled iron can make somebody so excited haha!

?

I can't find any matching parts in the, admittedly not wonderful, exploded view photo I have of the 2cm MG151/20, but since the sheet steel piece you have on the very right in this grouping looks like a feed tray, with a cutout that's the size of the ammunition in the centre, if you could measure it- both lengths and widths of the wide and narrow sections, perhaps that'll help...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Yeah, I couldnt match any parts to a specific cannon, it defo looks like a rotary cannon of some sort, and the only wartime manufacturer I know of would have been Mauser.

I just had a thought though. Perhaps its a Orlikon or Hispano dirivitive like

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...G-1-493-16.jpg

I like the chances on this one, it has a flat feed try by the looks of it.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...G-1-493-18.jpg

I will do some more investigation and measuring in the next few days. Hope I can find some kind of marking anywhere. Thanks for all your help so far!

?

A 2cm MG151/20 round measures about 25mm at the base and the case is about 65mm base to neck; the shell is of course about 2cm and the length from case neck to fuse is about 80mm. So if the opening in that feed tray would accept a round of those dimensions, that's a pretty good identification as I'm pretty sure no other weapon used similiarly-sized ammunition.

Oerlikon rounds' cases had no neck so would've only needed an opening a bit larger than 2cm overall- plus most were drum magazine fed, so I don't know if they'd have had a feed tray like this, which looks like one for a belt-fed weapon.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast