Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help: William Patton P51 recovery

Article about: Hi everybody!Has anyone pics or links for the recovery in 2001,of William patton's p51?Crashed in the north of France in 1945.I'm amazed that when you goggle it,you find texts but very few p

Default Need help: William Patton P51 recovery

Hi everybody!Has anyone pics or links for the recovery in 2001,of William patton's p51?Crashed in the north of France in 1945.I'm amazed that when you goggle it,you find texts but very few pics even in the French press.Thanks!

Default re: Need help: William Patton P51 recovery

Hi Seb,

Here's a few photo's of Patton and the remains of his a/c.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help: William Patton P51 recovery   Need help: William Patton P51 recovery  

Need help: William Patton P51 recovery   Need help: William Patton P51 recovery  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The crashsite, followed by 5 of the 6 .50 cal m.g's.

His parachute, life vest, tie and flying jacket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help: William Patton P51 recovery   Need help: William Patton P51 recovery  

We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Proof of I.D : His dogtags and data plate from the aircraft he was flying that day.

And finally, his return to Springfield, Missourri.

Regards, Ned.

Need help: William Patton P51 recovery   Need help: William Patton P51 recovery  

Ned.. I'm gobsmaked well done.. To find all that and post it so quickly,
    thats what I'd call a comprehensive reply.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Ned.. I'm gobsmaked well done.. To find all that and post it so quickly,
    thats what I'd call a comprehensive reply.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Cheers Lucky,

It took me a couple of hours this afternoon. The links i found to it were pretty convaluted, but their there if you try hard enough. Got my lead from the neighbouring town of Feignies, after that it was just a step to the museum, and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your friend...

Regards, Ned.

thank you so much Big Ned!This tragedy has always moved me,especially when you know that W.Patton had ended his duty time in Bombing squadron.What a fate!I especially think to his parents,passed away without news from their loved child.It could make me cry because it's thanks to men like Patton that I'm free,and him,was burried in the ground and nobody knowed it.