Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

old wreck on mountainside

Article about: Good eye, petehi, you are spot on. I can see the taper under the tail. I think it's Nevada or Calif. There are some great crash sites out there. I always go on hiking adventures when I burn

Default Re: old wreck on mountainside

Hi both Ian's. Great pictures. Very fond memories indeed. Same here, people keep picking the crash sites clean. The sickening thing is, some guys are selling the metal for scrap to make extra money. Kinda like robbing a grave yard really. I don't know, everybody has a different idea about it I guess. Take care, Jay

ian
    ?

well theres relic hunting for fun collecting and profit
    its the profit version that ruin it for the others

To me digging small stuff out of the ground is very different than hauling off airplane parts, like whole engines. Especially when you take your kid up there and hope he takes his kid up there etc., etc. I guess if I collected WWII airplane parts, I would think differently. Jay

but when you think about a severly crash damaged merlin being mostly worth any where from 1500 upwards it can be quite apealing not to mention to historic value as well

regards Mad_ideas

Its a tricky issue i think.
    if the sites were properly looked after and preserved then there would be something for others too see in years to come.
    but when they are just rusting away then you can understand why peaple take things away.
    the problem is the vast majority of removed items eather loose the providence or rust away in someones shed instead. or worse still get thrown away when the wife says your not bringing that in this house!
    Then there are the deliberate grave robbers for profit i am not sure i should say what i think of this crowd.
    I think that the truth is that collectors are the main reason that things survive look at old flintlocks or swords etc its the interest in these items that ensure they survive.
    the trouble is the act of collecting means that things gather a munitary value.
    this then makes old shipwrecks, crashed airplanes and trenches peofitable for some folk.
    soap box time so i will stop
    Andy

i agree with Andy's previous post,,well said

ian
    ?

well the thing about the wrecks on snowdonia is they are not war graves thank goodness the raf removed all the boddies at the time of the crashes thats how the raf mountain rescue came into existance

deinatly well said, some interesting points brought up

regards Mad_ideas

ian
    ?

the mosquito on the drum , the drum is a mountain there never was much there except millions of rivets and the engines and there mounts and metal seats it burnt when it crashed and of course it was 85% wood
    but bit by bit every thing has disapeared
    there is a plane in one of the lakes you can walk on it when the water is low but i cant remember what it was its a long time since

ian
    ?

i read a book on the crashes in snowdonia some years ago it had a sort of crash report for the mosquito they said it was on a low flying excersize when it crashed and both throttles where set to emergancy boost so they assume he was trying to climb to cleare the top of the drum the crash sight is very very neare the summit and of cours both crewmen where killed instantly

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast