Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

old wreck on mountainside

Article about: Good eye, petehi, you are spot on. I can see the taper under the tail. I think it's Nevada or Calif. There are some great crash sites out there. I always go on hiking adventures when I burn

Default old wreck on mountainside

Crashed in the desert still out there relatively undisturbed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture old wreck on mountainside   old wreck on mountainside  

Default Re: old wreck on mountainside

Ordanance still laying around the wreck . be careful. Some kind of large parachute illumination flare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture old wreck on mountainside   old wreck on mountainside  

Small flares, survival gear for the crew

the human element ................. sobering

Looks like an A1 Skyraider, whereabouts is it, did the crew make it, and any other history would be appreciated, i love the 'Spad'!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Please let us know the location of this wreck. My guess would be Arizona or New Mexico but that is only a guess.

rgds, Ty

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Looks to me like Death Valley below there, so my guess is the Nevada / California line. You know there are dozens of military plane crashes within four hours of Las Vegas. Been to a few. Technically the US government owns every single piece of that plane, and they warn people they are stealing government property if they take one bolt. That's the US government for ya! They're gonna keep their claws on that plane, even if its in pieces on a deserted mountain side. Gotto love it. Take care, Jay

?

I believe that's the wreckage of a Grumman HU-16 Albatross search and rescue amphibian. That a/c would have had the flares/flare drop tubes.

I think you're right petehi. Definitely flares, but I can't see enough of the plane to tell what it is. I wish UX would come back on and tell us what state it's in, I'm curious. Jay

?

Jay - look at the first photo of the fuselage... The position/shape of the windows and hatch are a perfect match with the HU-16. Also note that the fuselage bottom surface is definitely amphibian-shaped. Wonder where it is.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast