Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

P51K Mustang recovery

Article about: I love those .5s how did they deac them? I wonder how they got the barrels out to chop them. Were all 4 Fridgiaire M2s? I've 2 AC sparkplug models, not seen any Fridgidaire in the UK. ATB, C

Default Re: P51K Mustang recovery

I love those .5s how did they deac them? I wonder how they got the barrels out to chop them. Were all 4 Fridgiaire M2s? I've 2 AC sparkplug models, not seen any Fridgidaire in the UK.

ATB, Chris.

Great pictures Ian, I like the Browning and Prop that went to the land owner, good work.
    I expect with a bit of work your Browning could look something like that when finished. If you do restore it please photograph it as you go so we can see the stages, it'll make very interesting viewing.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

All six were Frigidaire made, the whole of US industry did join in with the war effort! The breeches were all slotted and welded inside the body and the proof house judged it OK. They were all fairly rusty and had been cooked by the fire, with the cooling jacket pretty far gone. This was the port inner gun and I will take pictures as I clean it off, Luckystrike.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P51K Mustang recovery   P51K Mustang recovery  

That looks in pretty fine condition. Does it say M2 or M2AC next to the Browning Machine Gun?

Here is my HB for comparison, I have 2 and I'm thinking of swoping one for a AC version

?

That's quite an impressive loft conversion! I can only read as far as Cal.50 at the moment, the last numerals are under the concretion. Will post again when I can find my brass dremel brush!

?

See what you mean about the fire damage Ian - even the Brownings looked partly cooked! Glad to see the engine getting some attention now - is it inside yet and how are you getting on re the stand? Looks like you have as little to go on regarding mountings as mine. I used the transverse bolts to pick up the front as I didnt want to cut or alter anything + maintain maximum visibility for display - Perhaps you could use the same - is the other side's rear intact?

Mmmmmmm that would look very nice on my Willys jeep, will be fitting my mustang one soon as i get the mount fitted. Will get a few pics posted of the landowners 50cal during the cleaning. Ime getting good at this cleaning!

?

Hello Nick, I'll pass that on to Doug at the fort, he's held off making the frame as he was hoping the landowner might lose interest in the boss. Now it's all systems go. The back end is pretty good, it's just the front end that has opened up more than yours. Doug's got a nice indoor space for it and is hoping to get a BAAC meeting sometime soon. Won't see you in Jan, York is too far!

Here are a few better photos of the 50cal all cleaned up, come on ian get scrubbing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P51K Mustang recovery   P51K Mustang recovery  

P51K Mustang recovery   P51K Mustang recovery  

?

First little bit of cleaning, in between the rain. I've now annoyed all my neighbours with a good few hours of power drill wire brush action. more to follow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast