Here are some photos from a recent Ministry of Defence licenced Mustang recovery near Nantwich. The aircraft was lost on ferry flight in early 1945, killing the pilot, 1st Lt L D Johnson. Most of the rear of the aircraft had been destroyed in an intense post crash fire, with almost no aluminium surviving from behind the cockpit armour. The force of the impact buried the engine and prop boss nearly twenty feet underground, with the guns and undercarriage legs perfectly arranged as a front elevation of the aircraft. The guns, made under licence by Fridgidaire, were removed by a section five firearms certificate holder and are currently being deactivated. Contact was made with the pilot's next of kin in the States and they were keen to receive any personal effects which might be found. There was no trace of badges or insignia but a nicely labelled piece of Stromburg carburettor will soon be returning to the States. A single very large boulder was found next to the outermost starboard Browning and this was left on the surface as part of a future permanent memorial to the pilot. The engine will be displayed at the Fort Perch Rock museum, Birkenhead.