Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

A peek into the past at Burtonwood airbase.

Article about: I have been meaning to take pictures of what is left of the former RAF and then later USAF base at Burtonwood. Almost everything has now gone. But after recent tree felling near the Manchest

Default A peek into the past at Burtonwood airbase.

I have been meaning to take pictures of what is left of the former RAF and then later USAF base at Burtonwood. Almost everything has now gone. But after recent tree felling near the Manchester to Liverpool railway line this bunker was once again revealed.

A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.

A little further on, and directly opposite where the married quarters used to be, workmen are erecting a new wooden fence. This rusting relic was unearthed and left next to one of the posts.

A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.

In the next picture the blue containers mark the approximate spot of the old boiler house which powered the warehousing on the base.

The third picture is looking down the pedestrianized part of Burtonwood Road. Just before the first gulf war the ground to the right was covered in military vehicles and portable field hospitals.

The hard standing where the vehicles are parked used to be the bus station for the airbase.

The next few pictures show the former site of one of the guardrooms - situated to the right of the sign. The two green posts on each side of the footpath supported the gate across the railway line which ran along the rout of the footpath and entered the camp to the rear of where the picture was taken. In the final picture can just be made out the chequered paint which was applied to the roadbridge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.   A peek into the past at  Burtonwood airbase.  

thanks Harry.

The rusty relic is that tracking stuff they used to put down on grass to park vehicles on and to repair crater damage to runways.

Thanks for the photos Steve, i'm really glad there are a few bits left like the bunker you have shown. I drove past that building site in the works van today and got a bit cheesed off thinking about what is being done to the base, i've got a lot of happy memories from when i was a teenager, sneaking past the MOD police and going digging, i found quite a few 50 cal bullets and bits of twisted airframe!...

Jan
    ?

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Jan

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The rusty relic is that tracking stuff they used to put down on grass to park vehicles on and to repair crater damage to runways.
    I took the pictures today while out with my wife and grandson. When I took the picture of the metal road link she thought I had gone crazy; "What are you taking pictures of that thing for?" she asked. I replied: "Don't you worry, there are other sad people out there like me who will know exactly what it is."

gazandmalc
    ?

Hi Harry,

We went there today right in Burtonwood Rd right next to the railway line itself on the path near the railway bridge and we cannot seem to find where you took the photos of the bunker?

Can you explain where exactly from the bridge (say) on Burtonwood Rd the bunker is?

We are genuinely interested in the history of Burtonwood USAAF and we have our own site related to it and WW2 stuff here:

Historic Aviation Military - Home Page

Any info at all regarding the old USAAF would be great.

By the way, we think that around this area was a scrap yard actually on the base itself right next to a railway bridge?

There is a photo knocking about that shows it.

Any ideas on that too?

Regards

Gary & Malc

Hi Gary and Malc,

if you stand on the road bridge and look towards Sycamore Lane which runs across just by the end of the bridge, turn RIGHT at the T junction. Walk along the path until you come to a left turn into a housing complex. You will know you have the right road if you see a block of flats just to the left of the opening. This used to be Sgt York Loop. On the opposite side of the road where the railway line is situated you will see that the road has a bend in it. Just in the clump of trees is the bunker, it is only a few feet from the edge of the road - but impossible to see unless you know where to look.

If you were to continue down this road to the roundabout it would lead you to a blast pen. Turn right at the roundabout, carry on to the next roundabout and go straight on. Go straight on at the roundabout after that. About 100 yards further on is a wooded area on your left, and just inside the tree line is another structure. You will know you have the right spot if you see a pelican crossing just a little further on.

The scrap yard... If you stood on the road bridge and turned LEFT onto Sycamore Lane, drive past the bus stop on your left. Just before the church on your left is a footpath with a metal barrier. If you walk up the footpath you will reach a bridge over the railway. have a look at the names carved into the sandstone - although many were removed when they repaired the bridge. Follow the path as it curves around. There is an over-road bridge a little further on. Just before this is a track which runs up to a pond. When I moved here in the 1970's this area by the pond was full of small aircraft parts buried in the ground just to the left of the pond. If you go back on the path and continue under the bridge the path curves to the left. You will see the old railway lines set in the path and the two gates. This was the spur leading into the main camp and the warehouse. I hope this is of help to you .

Cheers,
    Steve.

Quote by gazandmalc View Post
    Hi Harry,

We went there today right in Burtonwood Rd right next to the railway line itself on the path near the railway bridge and we cannot seem to find where you took the photos of the bunker?

Can you explain where exactly from the bridge (say) on Burtonwood Rd the bunker is?

We are genuinely interested in the history of Burtonwood USAAF and we have our own site related to it and WW2 stuff here:

Historic Aviation Military - Home Page

Any info at all regarding the old USAAF would be great.

By the way, we think that around this area was a scrap yard actually on the base itself right next to a railway bridge?

There is a photo knocking about that shows it.

Any ideas on that too?

Regards

Gary & Malc
    Interesting site thanks for the link!.....