Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Piece of Halifax

Article about: Hi Everyone, just got this piece of aircraft which the seller said was a piece of Halifax LK835 (that crashed in a peat bog in Wales in 1944 during a training flight) and I have no reason to

Default Piece of Halifax

Hi Everyone, just got this piece of aircraft which the seller said was a piece of Halifax LK835 (that crashed in a peat bog in Wales in 1944 during a training flight) and I have no reason to doubt this. Can anyone identify this piece? It is aluminium with a steel re-enforcement plate on the back. I know nothing about aircraft but wanted to display this alongside some RAF uniforms of the period. Can anyone help?

Goggles included for scale.

Thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Piece of Halifax   Piece of Halifax  

Piece of Halifax   Piece of Halifax  

Presumably this is just not identifiable? Any help appreciated.

?

An interesting lump, the condition is right for LK835, everything out of that bog was immaculate, if bent. However, most bits of Halifax start with 57 in the part number, yours doesn't. Also, the R3 in the inspector's stamp makes me think Lancaster. It does look like a stiffener out of the under wing landing flap from a Lanc. Halifaxes flaps probably looked similar though. Sorry to cloud the issue!

Looking at the stamps last night and comparing them to my (fairly short) list of inspection stamps, I too concluded that R3 was Avro and that R2 was Rootes Securities (Halifax, Blenheim and Beaufighter).

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well thanks for the responses, thats unexpected.