MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?

Article about: by cornishboy These are awsome finds,well done Bratacas for recovering them.Looking forward to seeing what the experts think the aircraft involved are the first object shown in todays pics o

Angry Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?

Went back to the coastal defence area where I found the wellington bomber airframe piece. Have not been to this area in a while so today when I visit the whole land is deformed due to windy storms which has washed up a load of new stuff, Noticed a heavy square box which has traces of black paint, no idea what its from but I took it anyway, was about to leave when I spotted a rather big piece which looks to me a piece of a ww2 aircraft but im skeptical as always, it has the same black paint traces as the big heavy piece I got. It's very light for its size and it reminds me of a part of a wing? or the flaps??? or someone on here will burst my bubble and tell me its from an old cooker? the circular piece was right next to it and has again the same black paint traces. Were any British ww2 aircraft painted black? I hope it is from one lol.

Apoligies for no pics as I lost my camera cable but I will post them as soon as I find it, only have a quick video of the pieces:

relics - YouTube

ps the big piece is nearly 4 feet in length. It only just managed to fit in the back of my car. My measuring tape *****.

?

Default Re: Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?

It looks like aircraft material.

Martin

quick update: found the cable and heres some pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

Certainly looks like aircraft material. I think most bombers had black painted undersides Lanc, Halifax, Wellington, Sterling etc

You need to look for numbers stamped on the metal. Aircraft parts usually have a number stamped or etched on each individual piece.

Hangarman

yes aircraft.

?

The largest piece certainly looks to be aircraft - possible an undercarriage door, but without any stamped numbers, I cannot guess what aircaft, as I do not recognise it. The small circular item looks like the reinforcing ring from around a filler point on a fuel tank - again should have some numbers on it. But the other large square item, does NOT look aircraft to me, possibly an electrical junction box from a ship? That said it is alloy and looks well made, so may still be military?

?

Quote by NickW View Post
    The largest piece certainly looks to be aircraft - possible an undercarriage door, but without any stamped numbers, I cannot guess what aircaft, as I do not recognise it. The small circular item looks like the reinforcing ring from around a filler point on a fuel tank - again should have some numbers on it. But the other large square item, does NOT look aircraft to me, possibly an electrical junction box from a ship? That said it is alloy and looks well made, so may still be military?
    I agree that the panel looks like it came off an undercarriage door, or that area. I however think that the box could be an electrical box off an aircraft. I've seen similar ones in aircraft.

Here is what you need to do. Get hold of one of those scourers made from coils of steel ribbon. You can get them in any big supermarket. Scrub the back of the item in small sections until you find a stamp. There will be stamps and codes all over a piece that size, you just need to find them. Once you've got some, take pictures and re-post.

Look forward to seeing what you uncover as it is certainly off an aircraft.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Here is what you need to do. Get hold of one of those scourers made from coils of steel ribbon. You can get them in any big supermarket. Scrub the back of the item in small sections until you find a stamp. There will be stamps and codes all over a piece that size, you just need to find them. Once you've got some, take pictures and re-post.

Look forward to seeing what you uncover as it is certainly off an aircraft.
    but then I will be scratching off the paint that remains on it, I wouldn't want to do that

Any stampings could well be visible through the paint , get the magnifying glass out! The part numbers are usually stamped in 1/16th numbers and letters .

Hangarman

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast