Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAAF pilot's remains found in France

Article about: Here (hopefully) is the link to the Ministers announcement about SGT Smith. There is a link there to the official defence imagery for the press conference. [URL="http://www.minister.def

Default RAAF pilot's remains found in France

RAAF pilot's remains found in France

Sergeant William James Smith, who was 24, was shot down on May 9, 1942 during a dogfight with German fighter aircraft.

RAAF pilot's remains found in France - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Default Re: RAAF pilot's remains found in France

How moving are these personnal items!As i'm french,could you clarify this for me:the family requested privacy.Does it mean they don't want to hear this story,or ,does that mean they refuse medias to relay information?Thank you.

Good that he will get a heros burial at last ! Another brave young warrior laid to rest

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

good to know another hero has been found now he can rest in peace
    thanks for sharing the link journey

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    How moving are these personnal items!As i'm french,could you clarify this for me:the family requested privacy.Does it mean they don't want to hear this story,or ,does that mean they refuse medias to relay information?Thank you.
    It just means that his family don't want to be interviewed by the media over the discovery of his remains, I'm sure they are very proud of this man just as we all are of family who served in this conflict. 24 years old and a sergeant, he must have been an impressive young bloke who earnt the respect of those around him, I'm sure his family are very proud.

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    sebfrench76, as sandgroper said, all it means is that his family don't want to be interviewed by the media .
    One thing Australians do know and take comfort in, is that the French people show honour and respect for our fallen in their country.
    Cheers,
    Jules

Thanks for posting this.

RIP Sgt Smith.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank your for your "translations",it was a little difficult for me to clearly understand the real meaning of the sentence..
    And i'm proud that my country is still honoring the memory of your boys.

Here's a squadron photo of 457 pilots taken in April 1942, perhaps only days before Sgt. Smith was killed. He can be seen in the back row, his head just behind the port exhauast stack. Just in front of him to his left, in the Mae West and dark flying overalls is his C.O., Squadron Leader (Later Air Commodore) Peter Brothers, a noted ace in the Battle Of Britain.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAAF pilot's remains found in France  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Nice sentiments Ade. And Seb, it is good to hear you say that. All the fallen deserve our respect.

R.I.P. Sgt.W.J.Smith (one of the few, who can take his final resting place amongst his brothers in the sky).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast