Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

relic gun rules

Article about: I am in the US and I am interested in getting a relic US m1 garand or carbine. Is it legal for me to buy one without a license or do I need to get a curios and relic license before I can eve

Default relic gun rules

I am in the US and I am interested in getting a relic US m1 garand or carbine. Is it legal for me to buy one without a license or do I need to get a curios and relic license before I can even think about getting one? I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section but since it was a question about relics more than about the shoot-ability of a gun I thought I would try here first. I have no interest in something that can be cleaned up and made fire-able. I am sorry to ask here but I don't seem to be able to find an upfront answer about dug relics and I don't want to do anything illegal.

lawman
    ?

Default Re: relic gun rules

Since youre in the US, it would actually be far easier to get a real M1 or Carbine than it would a "relic". If youre talking about a DEWAT, (deactivated war trophy) then no, no licensing is required as long as it has been altered so it cannot chamber a round or fire. There are companies that have dewated or weapons that are made not to fire...theyre sold as drill rifles or wall hangers. (I think Sportsmans Guide was selling M1s not long ago).
    As far as the real thing goes, you would have to check your local laws to be sure you can have it where you are...but being in NC, i'm pretty sure you can have either an M1 or a carbine as long as your old enough.

Default Re: relic gun rules

It's a bit of a pain,but it would do you well to get a C&R. It goes for $30 and is good for 3 yrs.Your first investment will pay for the license. (delivered to your door via UPS)Go to a gun show in your area and you can pick up a M1 from one of the dealers. There should be several on hand. Be prepared to pay around $500 and up. Perhaps Bill Grist might be able to direct you to a show in N.C. and give some good advise.