Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic P-38

Article about: Were all these arrowheads ground finds, or did you buy them..........?

?

Default Relic P-38

This came from the ground on a U.S. military post several years ago, don't know the story other than the barrel was all that sticking out of the ground. I acquired it 30 years ago and used the rear sight on a P-38 that I was rebuilding. No, it is not loaded I rodded the barrel to the breech. It might have been in a fire not sure. Attachment 241491Attachment 241492

Default Re: Relic P-38

Very nice 'find'..............!

Military or commercial ?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Its military got ac 4?, need to scrape a little rust to see all the year

If the rust isn't to thick you could use some gun oil and a brass wire brush to remove the rust

Any chance of applying grips to it?

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    If the rust isn't to thick you could use some gun oil and a brass wire brush to remove the rust
    It may have, at one time, been able to function after a good cleaning.
    The barrel was pitted quite badly I presume ?

You could likely pick up either original, repro or new grip panels
    for the gun if you were so inclined..............
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I really don't think it is worth the effort. Plus if it had of gotten hot I would be afraid to shoot it due to temper taken out of the metal. Looks kinda neat like it is.. I do have a electrolysis bath I use to derust stuff, works quite well and doesn't remove any parent metal. I just finished a 81mm mortor round that had a 1940 date on it. I thought about selling the p-38 then shipping would be a problem as even though it is frozen up it might still be against the rules. Just an after thought I will derust it and put up another photo and see what you think. thanks guys for the inputs. Mike

Hope all goes well! I'd love to see it it cleaned up. I almost got a relic condition K98k that was found in France off craigslist a few months ago, deal fell through though.

?

I wouldn't even call it a relic, it's in fantastic conditions, good find! It looks like it did not stay in the ground for too long, you may be able to restore it nicely for display purpose.
    Regards

Matt

?

Attachment 247622Attachment 247621Attachment 247624Attachment 247623I have had this in my electrolisis bath for about a week and worked on it some to see if I can at least make it somewhat functional. The 81mm was also a rust bucket item I cleaned up and cold blued, its dated 1940, the Cattaraugus knife was rehandled by me and I carried it around the world 4 times, its sharp and thought if I was shot down at least my throat would be cut by something sharp. I will work on the p-38 somemore and see what happens, It is matching numbers for frame and receiver but not sure about the barrel, looks like it might be the same number. Kinda dark picture of my arrow heads(projectile points) but I have about 1200 whole points and maybe 2000 broken ones I have picked up since I was a kid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast