Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

rivet nut / Annietmutter

Article about: Hi, I think I have found a rivet nut at a crash site and I wonder if this is a part of a German or Allied aircraft. I have found information that these were used in Messerschmitt aircrafts.

?

Default rivet nut / Annietmutter

Hi,

I think I have found a rivet nut at a crash site and I wonder if this is a part of a German or Allied aircraft. I have found information that these were used in Messerschmitt aircrafts. What do you know about this?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

rivet nut / Annietmutter

rivet nut / Annietmutter

rivet nut / Annietmutter

Looks like a captive nut rather than what I know as a rivet nut. To me a rivet nut is a nut that is expanded (Riveted) into a hole to form a captive nut. This one appears to have 2 rivets to anchor the nut to the structure, quite a common type of fastener for those applications that you can't get a spanner to the back of.

?

Thanks for your help.
    Marc

copplestone
    ?

It is indeed an anchor nut, still commonly used throughout the aviation industry . the nut you have has is whats called a capped nut ,whish means the screw/bolt does not go out the other side to prevent leaking . It also has steel rivets which means it would have been used in a hot area ie an oil pump etc .

?

Hi,
    thanks for your help.
    Marc