Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small German Relic fuse head.

Article about: Relic fuse head. Marked “AZ 38” and dated “42”. Used on 7.5cm to 110cm rounds. Recovered from Drop Zone “O” near La Motte, South of France, April 2003 by myself. No digging was involved as t

Default Small German Relic fuse head.

Relic fuse head. Marked “AZ 38” and dated “42”. Used on 7.5cm to 110cm rounds.

Recovered from Drop Zone “O” near La Motte, South of France, April 2003 by myself. No digging was involved as this was a surface find. This was the area where British Airborne forces fought. I went over there three times with a Veteran friend of mine, Mike Compton, who has now sadly passed away. It was fantastic to walk with him where he fought in August 1944. He was a "Pathfinder". Mike was actually a German who fought under a false name. I have included a picture of Mike during the war and then in 2004.

This item is safe and is inert, but if in any doubt do not touch!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small German Relic fuse head.   Small German Relic fuse head.  

Small German Relic fuse head.  

?

Default Re: Small German Relic fuse head.

Very interesting story Ade !

This fuse looks safe, but I agree with you: when in doubt, better don't touch them

Exclamation Safety of fuses.

I collect mostly german 8.8cm cses, projectiles and fuzes. I once bought an AZ-23 fuse from an 88 on ebay. It was sent to me here in the USA from France. It was in fantastic condition. I sent a picture of it to a friend of mine in Holland that specializes in making cutaway models of german ordinance.. one of the best in the world. I got a note back from DJ saying "Really nice fuse... but you did know it's still live?"

Well I didn't... and it still sits on top of one of my 8.8sm FLAK projectiles. I can't sell it and I am not foolish enough to try and disarm it... so be careful. Another collector friend of mine bought a Japanese mortar round in perfect condition. One day he went to disassemble it and realize that the fuse was still live... a live Gaine was still attached and he had pulled the gaind out of the still live TNT that still filled the totally live mortar. He was VERY lucky. After many years the TNT..especially in German explosive projectiles starts to outgas. The germans and the Japanese mixed their TNT with parafin to make it easier to pour. If kept for long periods in hot conditions the parafin gas seeps past the fuze threads and carries with it a small amount of TNT (Nitro) that depositself on the fuze threads. The first sucker to unscrew a fuze causes it to blow... and believe me it's as powerful as the day it was fired.

NEVER touch this stuff if you find it. NEVER. And also know whom you buy this stuff from.