Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SMLE relic unusual discovery.

Article about: You would be forgiven for wondering what is unusual about a relic SMLE being discovered. And if it was in France or Belgium you would be right. However this example was ploughed up by myself

Default SMLE relic unusual discovery.

You would be forgiven for wondering what is unusual about a relic SMLE being discovered. And if it was in France or Belgium you would be right. However this example was ploughed up by myself on my croft whilst getting the ground ready to plant potatoes in the Scottish Highlands. Sometimes you just have to wonder....

?

Interesting to find it such long ways away from where it 'should' lay buried. The decent condition and the woodwork being attached makes you think how long it's been there.

Regards,
    Bas

Hi Bas,

Over the years I have heard many tales about poachers burying their rifles having made a kill and then returning later to retrieve it and wonder if this could be one of those rifles.

?

A lot of training was done in WW2 in the North of Scotland mate for all sorts of reasons and units !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Can't see the bolt, is any of it there?

You're obviously an honest person Robin. Someone else might have listed it on ebay as "recent Flanders find".

Wont be selling it as to me its an awesome interesting part of the local history. Regarding the bolt. It is absent and wasn't with the rifle when found.

As likely belonged to a local farmer, shepherd or crofter such as yourself perhaps? It would be ideal for deer and fox control, and surplus rifles were ten a penny for many years after both wars.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Its priceless because you found it, no matter the story behind it. Have mint examples that I fire regularly but would give my right arm to dig one up.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D

Hi Ned, I am sure it belonged to one of the old boys as you say the rifles used to be ten a penny. I know a couple of the old boys who still have surplus lee enfield no 4s that they bought post ww2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast