Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...

Article about: Here are other fragments find with Daniele 1 Fuselage with bullets hole 2 Unknown parts 3 Electric engine 4 Unknown parts 5 Small unknown parts 6 Pilot equipment? 7 Label A M MOTOR GENERATOR

?

Default From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...

Here are photos from a crash site in Italy. Some idea about identity of fragments? Thanks. :I

A few of snow... :sad:

But then the sun
    :n108:

2 Flap?

3 Fragment of engine?

4 Some part, one with mark: 69 KO 71 CKQ 44 129 67 CK

5 Fragments of battery.

6 Fragments of hidraulic circuit.

7 Fragments unknown

8 Glass

9 Mark: 44-SHT 44 75 32MPC SR104.

10 TAR 30008 SHT 219 A 30030

11 Part of parachute? 62-145-9 ERY

12 34608 741 18 EDA

13 RECEIVER TYPE 3002 10DB// 34275

15 Fuel

?

Default Re: From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...

Hello Matteo, lots of interesting bits of Seafire? there! On the other forum I said Seafires had .5 guns which was a mistake, they do have .303 guns for the cases you found. Also the R3002 is part of the Identification Friend Or Foe (IFF) controls. Lots of types had these
    Photo 1 is armour plate from the front of the pilot's seat, under his legs.
    Photo 2, you are correct, a lifting point from the front of a Merlin engine.
    3, top right is a catch to hold the seat in position, bottom left looks like the recoil buffer from the back of a .303 gun. Bottom right is the end of the seat adjusting handle.
    9 is the fuel filler cap from in front of the windscreen.
    10 Brass part is the slider for the canopy. It fits in the long slot you found at the other Spitfire, try it! Stainless stell part is the catch which holds the cockpit canopy in the 'back' position. This is different to ones I've seen on Spitfires so could be a clue
    11. Topright is the 'flick' bit of a cockpit switch. None of the other bits are parachute.
    15 is part of an oxygen gauge from an early Spitfire/Seafire.

I will try and find photos. All the best, Ian.

?

The Oxygen gauge is on the left, there is a switch like yours above it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...  

Super finds matteo

Hopefully the guys can help you ID stuff.

In fact, you may have just accidentally identified something for me !!

ian_ - The bit you say is the slider for the canopy.......is it the piece that is like the one in the picture I have attached, or the other bit of brass ? I found this at Harrowbeer (Yelverton) some years back and always wondered if it was something.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...   From a Spitfire (or Seafire) crash site...  

Matteo

One other thing. Be careful when you find dials like the black fuel one you've found. The flourescent paint glows because of radioactivity, namely radium. The radium emits alpha particles and hence gives the paint its glow. You don't want to get any on your hands mate ! Always handle the dials with tweezers and wash your hands afterwards

Cheers

Steve T

?

Evening Steve, Yes, you have a genuine bit of Spitfire. There are a couple of different sized sliders on each canopy. Regarding the radium paint, I got the panel in the photo checked out by a guy who knows his radiation. Almost every dial was giving off two to three times recommended safe levels, and that was through the glass. Most of the gauges are now face down in the shed at the end of my garden. It's not lethal levels, but not ideal for the front room!

OH COOL !!!

Just goes to show it's worth keeping stuff !

My brother goes around all day every day checking radioactive sources for his job, and it was him that told me. The cupboard I have mine in is plate glass which the alpha particles can't get through.

Shame you have to have yours face down in the shed ! Still.....better than having a wife and kids that glow like the ready break advert

.......or is it !

Steve T

Botom left of pic 4 is definatly the buffer assembly of a Browning .303 MG and bottom left of Pic 11 is the end cap off a piece of webbing, could be from a .38 pisol holster or para harness assembly.

At last, I found my Browning .303 buffer.

?

Many, many thanks to everyone give me informations. Your help is very precious for me and my friends. If you can post some photos that permit me to understand where were in Spitfire the fragments you identified I will be very happy and will understand better.
    Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast