Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Submarine depth metre guage dugup??

Article about: Hi this is the first ever time I have actually got rather excited about one of my finds, so it hasn't quite "sunk in" I was digging for more poison bottles all day and I get nothin

Default Submarine depth metre guage dugup??

Hi this is the first ever time I have actually got rather excited about one of my finds, so it hasn't quite "sunk in" I was digging for more poison bottles all day and I get nothing but common boring bottles and as always I find something epic which I believe is a vintage submarine depth metre guage but this is just my wild guess. I hope it is lol I uploaded a pic from google that the dial looks the same, the end bit. Can anyone confirm that it is off a sub? I dug it up quite close to where I found lancaster and naval parts. Also any clue on how I could clean this up without damaging it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Submarine depth metre guage dugup??   Submarine depth metre guage dugup??  

Submarine depth metre guage dugup??   Submarine depth metre guage dugup??  

Default Re: Submarine depth metre guage dugup??

ok Ive tried to measure it and cleaned it up a little bit more:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Submarine depth metre guage dugup??   Submarine depth metre guage dugup??  

Submarine depth metre guage dugup??  

Definitely a pressure gauge - and the needle is the same shape - but the dial graduations would have told you but they are long gone.
    Trouble is, it could have equally been off a boiler or air compressor...... you would never know now.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Judging by the size, ie very small, I doubt this is related to submarines, they were usually a great deal larger than this as they needed to be seen clearly by a number of personel in the control room

Quote by davejb View Post
    Judging by the size, ie very small, I doubt this is related to submarines, they were usually a great deal larger than this as they needed to be seen clearly by a number of personel in the control room
    I found another forum with someone has a similar piece with the exact same dial and people said its not from control room but probably from the torpedo room, would be pretty cool if it was from that

dugup this same place as that pressure guage thing, anyone a clue what this heavy piece is? I was told its made from bitumen:

?

No idea what it is, but bitumen??? Click on the link below.
    Bitumen - A Smelly but Useful Material of Interest

Reminds me of a parafin heater or the like?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Brataccas: It's very unusual to find something like a submarine guage buried in the ground. In fact, I do't believe I have ever heard of that happening. Danmark is right, it's a presure guage of some sort, but probably not from a submarine. Exactly where did you find it? Is the location close to a naval facility that handled submarines at any time, and is the location relatively near the water? The location is important. Of course, if the location is a former public dump, anyone could have tossed it there in which case it can be any sort of pressure guage, even one off a submarine. Dwight

I would agree with Ade, looks like a heater, and would guess its enamelled cast iron.
    Hangarman