Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tolverne Cottage

Article about: i went along to Tolverne Cottage today. Tolverne was an embarkement beach mainly for hardware heading for Omaha beach. its long concrete road snakes through the trees,past foundations of nis

Default Tolverne Cottage

i went along to Tolverne Cottage today. Tolverne was an embarkement beach mainly for hardware heading for Omaha beach. its long concrete road snakes through the trees,past foundations of nissen huts and latrines used by US forces past the sentry post and then this massive concreted area dominates the shore line. Being a little inquisative i thought about looking on the shoreline for anything of interest, then i saw something that caught my eye. Where the site was leveled its clear to see the make up beneath, a mish mash of metal mainly cable some other interesting objects that may be worth another look, also a tyre some green fabric and then this, stamped L C 1943. It must surely mean that all the other items caught up in the make up are of the same period..........wow!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tolverne Cottage  

?

Default re: Tolverne Cottage

would be interested in what the fabric was ^^

well this is a piece i picked up,possibly nylon,the concrete has given it a protective umbrella,so its not in bad condition considering its age.

the pic,it didnt upload earlier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tolverne Cottage  

?

I'm not sure on the fabric, however a flame test to one corner would determine if the fabric is nylon or cotton.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Pity I live in Cheshire!!

The cartridge is a .30 cal.... probably from an M1 Garand!

HistDean
    ?

The weave looks like canvas to me.
    It must be really cool to find this stuff while just walking around...

TOLVERNE not tolcarne like i missused originally. sorry for any confusion guys!

Default Re: Tolverne Cottage

I have edited the thread title etc for you for reasons of clarity

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Tolverne Cottage

The cartridge you have is actually a .50cal, usually used in heavy machine guns mounted on Tanks and such like. It was also the standard aircraft weapon for American planes.

LC = Lake City Ordnance Plant, USA
    1943 = year (although it is normally represented by just 43)

Has the blast cap got a firing pin mark on it or is it an unfired case ?

Nice find

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast