Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Trench Railway - Somme

Article about: Good evening. I have just returned from another trip to the Somme battlefields and wonder if anyone has any information regarding a carriage plate I came across walking the fields around the

Default Trench Railway - Somme

Good evening. I have just returned from another trip to the Somme battlefields and wonder if anyone has any information regarding a carriage plate I came across walking the fields around the village of Guillemont. I have attached a photograph of the item. I am aware that the company (Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon company Ltd) manufactured equipment for the battlefields (including the trench trains) during WW1 but i'd be interested if this plate could be recognised as the correct period - as well as any other information you may have!

Thanks,
    John

Trench Railway - Somme

?

Default Re: Trench Railway - Somme

Can't see it being from anyhting other than the WW1 period John , a Trench railyway ran up one side of Trones Wood did you find it in that area ? about 10 years ago we fought quite a few bits relating to the trench railway in that area !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Didn't they also make Ambulances?? I saw a doco recently on WW1 Ambulances and I'm sure one of the manufacturers was a railway company

?

Quote by johnphillips View Post
    Good evening. I have just returned from another trip to the Somme battlefields and wonder if anyone has any information regarding a carriage plate I came across walking the fields around the village of Guillemont. I have attached a photograph of the item. I am aware that the company (Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon company Ltd) manufactured equipment for the battlefields (including the trench trains) during WW1 but i'd be interested if this plate could be recognised as the correct period - as well as any other information you may have!

Thanks,
    John

Trench Railway - Somme
    Silly question John (!), have you tried contacting the National Railway Museum archive people? I believe it is still based in York.

Nice find though, whatever the outcome.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Hi John,

A very interesting find!

You could also try posting the photo over on the National Preservation Forum - There will probably be someone there who can ID it for you.

Cheers,

Don