Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

U-534

Article about: Here is some pictures of the recovered U-boat 534

Stormtrooper
    ?

Default Re: U-534

Being somewhat of a Mess hall Crockery Collector, I was excited to see all of the amazing things that were on this Sub!. Stormtrooper

?

?

?

Taken in August this year the boat as she was then , the future given to the submarine is much better than many thought possible.

?

I assume the crew got off. Otherwise it would have been classified a war grave, and the German Gov. would have raised holy hell about it.
    Curiously, I've heard there is a market for pre atombomb steel, as it hasn't been subjected to radiation. Great pics.

Cobra6
    ?

They cut the thing up!? This is a relic they had to restore to it's former glory, not cut it in six parts and make shabby fitting parts for it. This really is a shame, because I was actually looking forward to a visit, probably not going now.

So basically the only pretty much intact U-boat is the U505 now?

Cobra 6

Cobra6
    If you read the whole story, its not a shame! It was sat in the docks for years collecting more rust and was never ever going to be restored without basically replacing the parts with modern materials! This way you get to see into the ORIGINAL Boat!!!
    Dont see it as a bad thing..... Its worth the visit!
    U-505 is not much differnet! It was cleaned, parts replaced (large parts) and generally made safe. So its possibly... less original!!!!
    Dan

Cobra6
    ?

For me it is about if they preserved the beautiful lines and details of the ship. And they haven't, they just plainly cut it into pieces, which destroyed the shape.

Since this is the only remaining relic of its kind, there should be large government funding to have restored. See it as a way of the government making up for operation Deadlight in which they sunk all these valuable ships in the first place instead of donating them to museums.

The thing is, tourism and the quest for money have once again killed something which I think is too bad.

Sure the U505 has also had some touch ups, but they are certainly of much higher quality than what happened here. Here the concrete environment and signs seemed to have attracted much more effort than the actual boat.

Cobra 6

Very neat. Makes you wonder how many more submarines there are out there like this one. - Thanks for sharing the great photo's

/Mick

Even though it is great that it was somewhat "preserved", it is still sad to see her cut up this way.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast