MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

U-534

Article about: Here is some pictures of the recovered U-boat 534

Default Re: U-534

it should have gone to chatham dockyard museum.

?

In Redondo Beach, California there was a WWII U.S. Navy submarine on display for a number of years back in the 1970's. I think it was moved to Pearl Harbor and put on display in the water (saw it in 1991). Unfortunately, this appears to have been a mistake as the salt water had been eating away at the metal on the outside, the inside looked fine. I wonder if they got smart and placed it in a dry exhibit area (anyone know?). As far as saving specimens at war's end, seems to be hit or miss. A complete restoration of U-534, while interesting, would be very complicated and expensive indeed. But who knows, it could happen someday still.

Although U-534 is in five pieces, from what I understand, she was cut up in such a way she can be reassembled.

Even in the shape she's in now, a visit is still well worth it.

Does anyone know if there is a video available documenting the U-boat and it's restoration?

There is a DVD available called 'U534 Silent Shadows'

?

Why go to Chicago when we have U-995 here in Europa:-)

U-boot Kiel - Laboe U995

I paid a visit to the U-995 while stationed in Germany in the late 80's. It was a magnificent boat! I was utterly amazed that 50+ men lived in her for months at a time. Well worth seeing!

pmccombs
    ?

great pics...Thanks, Paul

I had thought that there was a mint type XXI Schnorkal boat on display somewhere in Germany
    I know a fellow who was on one of those during WWII and. Scuttled her off the Norwegian coast at the end of the war. He was stationed in the engine room so he is now almost deaf.
    He said that he was lucky as he had been transferred to the big boot from the SeaHund mini subs which he said were a sure ticket to heaven

?

Amazing, thanks for posting!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast