Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)

Article about: Hi, I understand that the 110 was used extensively as an effective night fighter and on occasions would tag onto the end of a returning bomber stream picking them off as they came into land

Default Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the aircraft in these two pictures.

It crashed or was shot down in Lancashire in approx 1943, although there is some confusion as to whether it was a German or American aircraft. The two attatched images are the only images of the crashed bird. I know they're rather vague, but can anyone say what aircraft it is?

Cheers,
    Lee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)   Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)  

?

Default Re: Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)

I think this is Bf 110.

Pozdrawiam.
    Paul.

I think Paul is right. Those large mounting spars for the engine say Messerschmidt to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by f35jsf View Post
    I think this is Bf 110.

Pozdrawiam.
    Paul.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input. So i presume if it was a Bf110, then the pictures are of the wing and engine, rather than the main fuselage of the aircraft. This was leading me to believe it was a small fighter.

That makes sense! Cheers mate

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think Paul is right. Those large mounting spars for the engine say Messerschmidt to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. Hopefully this should shed some light on the incident. These pictures were taken just outside Eccleston, Chorley, although I can't find anything in relation to a German aircraft coming down in this area!! Its a mystery!!

BF110,the opening in the wing is the supercharger intake.
    The date might be a bit out,it could be earlier than 1943.
    Not many BF110s over England,as they were obsolete,
    none appear to be shot down over land in 1943.But my
    records are far from complete!
    Regards Mike

Definitely a BF110. The bulge on the top of the engine cowling compared to the wing surface, the engine itself and the supercharger intake are all 110.

Interesting pictures woody....got any more info about them or the plane ?

Steve T

Here's a picture of the engine taken from Rudolf Hess's BF 110......very similar to yours which leads me to think the crash you have pictures of is earlier than 1943 as this will have been an earlier variant of the DB601 engine.

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)  

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Definitely a BF110. The bulge on the top of the engine cowling compared to the wing surface, the engine itself and the supercharger intake are all 110.

Interesting pictures woody....got any more info about them or the plane ?

Steve T
    Morning me old mate,

It's a mystery this one Steve.. All I know is it 'apparently' was shot down or simply crashed, in or around the Eccleston area of Chorley. But for some reason, there's no evidence of a German aircraft coming down in this area, yet many local people swear it happend, and also they say a dead German crewman was also found nearby!!

This one needs some serious delving to get to the bottom of it

OKW
    ?

Local library probably has local papers on microfiche. Police reports, one would have been made. Go and speak to the locals, the old uns now would have been kids then and first on the scene for bits and pieces.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast