Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What fired this ?

Article about: I`ve had this on my hearth for about 12 years . anybody know what artillery fired it? cheers Al

?

Default Re: What fired this ?

Nice shot !!! (From A.S. Portfolio Album number 1 ((Seagull Alert !)) .... I presume ??)

No doubt the "Polsten" will be up and running for the re-opening of the Hartenstein in September !

.. I also see through the latest Friends of the Museum newsletter, that the Stables are now going to be incorporated into the umbrella of the museum.

Regards

Gary J.

Hi Gary, you know me too well.

Here is how the gun was deployed for use against ground targets. The carriage is a great peice of design work.

Thanks for the info re the Museum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What fired this ?  

?

Was getting help from the pattern room fairly straightforward ?? .. Was there much red tape to get through for access ??

Gary J.

(Shot 2. A.S. Portfolio Album 1 ((Enemy armoured halftrack Ice-Cream van spotted on perimeter !))

Hi Gary, they were then based in my home town of Nottingham at the now closed Royal Ordnance Factory when this project was undertaken. Just had to ring up and make an appointment. The curator was most helpful. Of course, he asked why we wanted to take all these measurements and hundreds of photos. "Are you building a model of one?" "Yes" my friend replied "Except it is 1:1 scale".

Here is another pic showing the gun is correct towing mode with airborne trailer.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What fired this ?  

?

Looks like the "bridge" between the two fields at Beltring !

Gary J.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, they were then based in my home town of Nottingham at the now closed Royal Ordnance Factory when this project was undertaken. Just had to ring up and make an appointment. The curator was most helpful. Of course, he asked why we wanted to take all these measurements and hundreds of photos. "Are you building a model of one?" "Yes" my friend replied "Except it is 1:1 scale".

Here is another pic showing the gun is correct towing mode with airborne trailer.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, it is indeed Beltring.

I should mention that only one gun of the three built now remains in the UK. The second one was also exported to Holland as a Dutch collector made a very good offer that really could not be turned down by my friend Nigel.

Some final shots showing the two guns in the actual positions taken by the guns of the Recce Sqd almost opposite the Hartenstien at Oosterbeek 60 years on. Just off the edge of the green area around the memorial. Photo credits to Nigel.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What fired this ?   What fired this ?  

What fired this ?   What fired this ?  

What fired this ?   What fired this ?  

What fired this ?  

?

Nice shots !
    .. The Green ...About the only Clear line of sight area near the Hartenstein (with backing cover !)

?

hi Ade , nice shots of you in action !! and the b&w photos from your friend look very authentic ! That 20mm looks to be a great piece of kit against ground targets , do they still use these today ?

cheers Al

Re: Bofors. May I pick the brains of you gunners? My dad was in 112 LAA Battery 1939-41. He told me they were equipped with Bofors 20mm (after initially defending the East Midlands with Lewis Guns).
    I'm finding lots of data on the 40mm but nothing on the 20mm. Am I looking in the wrong places?

?

Try here ...

20 mm AA Guns

Gary J.

Quote by Patgore View Post
    Re: Bofors. May I pick the brains of you gunners? My dad was in 112 LAA Battery 1939-41. He told me they were equipped with Bofors 20mm (after initially defending the East Midlands with Lewis Guns).
    I'm finding lots of data on the 40mm but nothing on the 20mm. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast