Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is the type of this shell, please?

Article about: Good afternoon, I would like to ask you if somebody may know from which weapon this ammo shell could be. The size of the shell is: 81,5 cm from the bottom end to the upper end 14 cm as the d

Default What is the type of this shell, please?

Good afternoon,

I would like to ask you if somebody may know from which weapon this ammo shell could be.

The size of the shell is:

81,5 cm from the bottom end to the upper end
    14 cm as the diameter of the bottom end

Thank you very much for the comments
    DarthSion
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is the type of this shell, please?   What is the type of this shell, please?  

What is the type of this shell, please?   What is the type of this shell, please?  

What is the type of this shell, please?   What is the type of this shell, please?  

Diameter of the Cartridge case mouth? Location of the item, (where was it found). Any proper detail?

?

I think you have the remains of a 88x822R mm shell ( 8.8x82.2R cm ) as used in the Tiger 1 and also Flak guns......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thank you for your replies.

Diameter of Cartridge case mouth is due to its conditions hard to measure exactly, but It would be 88 or 85 mm.

I was doing the research and I found out that it would really be the 88x822 mm shell. But based on the information I found, these shells were not used by Tiger 1 or Flak guns, but by Tiger 2 or PAK 43 gun.

The shell for Tiger 1 or Flak are slightly different (they are not narrower in the case mouth and they should be only 571 mm long).

This article summarizes well both types of ammo

SAME SIZE DIFFERENT ROUND - The Tiger Collection

DarthSion

?

You are right,that will teach me to trust my old memory.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I’m not convinced this is a shell as the case is very thin, the only shell I can think of like this would be a Smoke, Gas or Illumination round. There’s also no driving band so I’m thinking it may be more like the end of a rocket.

?

There is no driving band because there is no projectile,it has been fired.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Agh, it’s the case, I thought when the OP referred to it as a shell, he referred to the projectile when I can now see it’s a steel case.

IMO, Not a Tiger 1 round, but a Tiger 2 due to length and bottle neck of case