Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?

Article about: got this stg44 mag few days ago and Im confused why its so shiny with remains of paint on one side or has someone tampered with it and sprayed it? only lettering it has "MKb" with

Default Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?

got this stg44 mag few days ago and Im confused why its so shiny with remains of paint on one side or has someone tampered with it and sprayed it? only lettering it has "MKb" with "42" below it with "fxo" at the bottom. the side is shiny silver too where as back and other side is just normal relic. I have photgraphed it with the only camera I have (rubbish phone ) alongside my other relic stg44 but that one reads "mkb42" with "ump43" under it any ideas if the paint on it is genuine and the lettering?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?   Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?  

Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?   Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?  

Why is my stg44 magazine so shiny?  

?

Hi brataccas.

If you attached any photos, they have not been added. Any chance of a re-try on the pics mate?

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Ignore the above, the pics are now showing!
    Last edited by jimpy; 08-07-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi brataccas.

If you attached any photos, they have not been added. Any chance of a re-try on the pics mate?

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    theyre up now, just back from work so tired as hell .-)

?

Looks to me like someone has wire brushed it. It's got that effect, to me anyway mate.

Hi! maybe too much acid oxalic?

It is an early to mid production mag. Hence the marking for Maschinenkarabiner 42 und MP43. Perfectly original just overcleaned.

"fxo" is the makers code for Haenel.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I'm glad this wasn't posted in the 'helmets' section.

It has probably been through an electrolysis kit to remove the rust and stabilise the metal. The process deposites some new metal on the relic and revives that which is only lightly corroded. It also removes most paint, resulting in .......shiney metal

Quote by Steve T View Post
    It has probably been through an electrolysis kit to remove the rust and stabilise the metal. The process deposites some new metal on the relic and revives that which is only lightly corroded. It also removes most paint, resulting in .......shiney metal
    I think Steve has hit the nail on the head!....