Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed

Article about: Hi all, was meaning to post this AGES ago and thought id post now before its too late. I used to work in the Forestry Commission ages ago and on my last days the workplace was moving locatio

Unhappy World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed

Hi all, was meaning to post this AGES ago and thought id post now before its too late. I used to work in the Forestry Commission ages ago and on my last days the workplace was moving location to another more remote spot, mostly I worked in a wooden hut that stored two of the flatbeds, a tiny canteen, tool rooms and a kinda open up "attic" at the top. So everyone was clearing out stuff and chucking everything out and I managed to save some forestry commission helmets that ive kept for myself. Then my workmate came across a bird hooter, funny thing which was ear deafiningly loud. it looked quirky and one of the workers near the skip was wanting to chuck it to the skip as it was apparent junk. I asked if I could keep this funny bird hooter and someone said they would have to ask the boss.

The week after I got permission to keep that bird hooter and it wasn't til I had a closer look at it there was a plate on it that reads "SPARTON USH" made for CHEMICAL WARFARE SERVICE US ARMY" THE SPARKS WITHINGTON CO" "jackson mich" "serial no "2236535"

did some research on it and its apparently worth about £280, used for chemical gas warning in the trenches and to think they were just gonna bin it, They had some WW1 era snowshoes too but I was too late to rescue them from being binned

video of an american with the same siren with the sound of it:

YouTube - ‪US hand crank gas attack siren‬‏

so the point of this thread really is that If anyone in UK knows any forestry commission depots I HIGHLY recommned you ask if they have any odd stuff (probably war relics) before they bin it ive no idea how they ended up with this fantastic piece
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed   World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed  

World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed   World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed  

Default Re: World War 1 siren found in Forestry Commission shed

What a cracking piece ! Very nice find indeed and well saved

Steve T

I like this find, well done for saving it. love to see a picture of the helmets

John

?

Very nice find