Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British Submarine E18 found in the Baltic.

Article about: Hi Guys, please see this link: Sunken WWI Sub HMS E18 Found in Baltic Sea I have copied the text from the link here should the link die in the future as it is preserved here for reference: O

Default WW1 British Submarine E18 found in the Baltic.

Hi Guys, please see this link:

Sunken WWI Sub HMS E18 Found in Baltic Sea

I have copied the text from the link here should the link die in the future as it is preserved here for reference:

Oct. 25) - Researchers have found a British naval submarine that sank more than 90 years ago during World War I in the Baltic Sea, BBC News reported Friday.
    The HMS E18, which had 31 crew members on board, is believed to have struck a German mine and sunk in May 1916 while on routine patrol. There were no survivors. The operation was authorized by Winston Churchill, who was then the First Lord of the Admiralty, to disrupt German shipments of iron ore from Sweden.

A Swedish marine survey company discovered the wreckage last weekend off the coast of Estonia, BBC News reported.
    An Australian descendant of one of the crew members provided information that helped lead to the discovery. Airline engineer Darren Brown's great-grandfather escaped the tragedy because he became sick shortly before its last patrol and couldn't leave his bed. Brown has spent almost a decade studying the sub's history.
    The sub was reported to have engaged and torpedoed a German ship a few days before it went down. According to BBC News, photographs from the seabed show the submarine with its hatch open, suggesting that it was sailing on the surface when it hit the mine.

Default Re: WW1 British Submarine E18 found in the Baltic.

Hello Ade,
    Thank you for the link. I'll follow this with interest.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Default Re: WW1 British Submarine E18 found in the Baltic.

Hi Ade,
    Great link i will follow this if poss, i couldnt imagine being in one of those subs. The modern ones are bad enough, but its good that they have found them at long last.
    dave.