Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent

Article about: Hi, I found out and wrote a page about U122/U123 a WW1 U-Boat of UBIII Class that sits on the mud flats of the Medway in Kent, England even to this day. I became interested in this U-Boat be

Default WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent

Hi,

I found out and wrote a page about U122/U123 a WW1 U-Boat of UBIII Class that sits on the mud flats of the Medway in Kent, England even to this day. I became interested in this U-Boat because of finding its image on Google Earth.

Here is the page..

WW1 U Boat Sub Wreck in Medway, Kent

I hope some of you find this interesting but further more anyone who knows more about this U-Boat I would love to learn more to add to my page.

Thanks,

Guy

Default Re: WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent

Thanks Phil,

I think this U-Boat has been lucky to survive because of its location, anywhere else and it would probably have been lost to the scrapyard like all the others.

Im new and hoping I can add more to this great forum over time!

I have found out further details and this is definately U122, this was found from information I have added to the page.

U122 was a minelaying U-boat that according to "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe, 1815-1945" by Erich Gröner was beached in east England on the way to the breakers yard.

Oops sorry, I was abit too excited, it seems there is more to this than meets the eyes. I believe it is actually UB122 but could still possibly be U122 or U123!

To know for sure I would have to go out there with a tape measure and find out its length.

?

good post

gavinparson
    ?

Hi, I do own a hovercraft and have visited this submarine many times and have researched its history. It is either U122 or U123 but I have always believed it to be U123.
    There were two smaller subs alongside it at one point but these were towed away for scrap many years ago. Possibly the larger one had already started to sink in the mud.
    I would welcome getting a definate id of this sub and if someone wants to take measurements and have a closer look then I would gladly take them out to it.
    Attached pictures were taken last summer. The sub is definately deteriorating from what I have seen before but then it has been there for 90 years.

You can contact me at gavinparson at yahoo dot co dot uk
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent   WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent  

WW1 Uboat U122 or U123 in Medway, Kent  

Wow Gavin,

These are great pictures and I would love to get a definate ID on the submarine...but I wouldnt be able to get down there till around May time as Im in Bulgaria from the end of the month till April

How far from the Medway do you live?

Guy

gavinparson
    ?

Thanks Guy. The Medway is at the bottom of my road, ooh about 1 minute away!
    The weekend of 16th/17th May has ideal low tides, i.e about midday which is obviously the best time to go out for a recce. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the sub by hovercraft.

Weather permitting we could do something that weekend. Let me know.

I have been to this sub many times over the years and got many smallrelics from it.Iwas told about it by one of my colleges who worked at berry wiggins.

?

How cool is that to be able to check out and explore a U-Boat. Both U122 & U123 are both Type IXB long range boats and aren't the mine laying kind.
    Type IXB long range boats - German U-boat Types of WWII - uboat.net
    None the less it would really be interesting finding the circumstances on how this boat got to where it is today. Thanks for posting!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast