Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 airfield abandoned building first look inside

Article about: Hi all I just thought I would like to share probably rare footage I took today of the old WW2 airfield I live beside. I have been so busy with work that I never get the chance to take a walk

Exclamation WW2 airfield abandoned building first look inside

Hi all I just thought I would like to share probably rare footage I took today of the old WW2 airfield I live beside. I have been so busy with work that I never get the chance to take a walk in this airfield. First thing I notice when I step in the area is that ALL the buildings have their doors missing and I initally thought it must of been from strong winds but then realised the place has been broken into everywhere These buildings have been untouched and all the doors have stood since 1939 til now, very sad....

I come across a patrolling pickup 4x4 and he asks what im looking for etc and says to me the whole place has been looted etc etc and I offer him 3 forms of my Identification, which was refused as he says he has my numberplate already and I said that's fine etc etc. he drives off and I check out the big building that was always sealed and locked, Beside that building were 2 storage containers which have all been looted also and cleaned out. I go back to car, grab camcorder and film the big building that has been broken into to finally take a nosey to see whats inside: radioactive signs everywhere! and the signs freaked me out. "NO ESCAPE"

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBkzpt-3Ke0

2nd video of a room I forgot to film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06zoHF3PYxU

Obviously I didn't take anything and left everything as is. I saw a car in the distance driving up to my car, man getting out and getting my plate so they really must be on high alert. shame really to ruin such a historical place Next time I visit the place will most certainly be boarded up so enjoy this rare footage I hope, It was filmed quickly because it made me nervous.

Anyone know what the first big room was used for? with the toxic warning sign. also the SNCO's office the poster diagram the AVR is "AVRO (aircraft) ??"

Hi brataccas.....interesting footage, those buildings have been in use after WW2, I am ex RAF, (joined in 1976) and the whole place reeks of the 1970s, the servicing chart for the 'MATELO' is very familiar to me for example, not sure what it was but that servicing chart was standard for all kinds of vehicles and airfield equipment as a quick referance for when maintenance was due, all the signage looks post war....the H&S notice is the big give away....can you reveal the location ? if so that would possibly provide clues as to what went on there............the entry doors to the main large room are quite small so I'm guessing it was a servicing facility for some type of portable equipment, the warning notice about PCBs could refer to powerful degreasents which I can remember using during my service..... Toluene was one common one...............facinating place, I love old buildings like these.

Phil